Is Ubuntu MATE missing any essential applications?

For me since UM 14.04, through UM15.04 and now testing UM 15.10 beta2 I still feel a sour taste for Rhythmbox player and I would say it is a bit quite sourer at this testing point… it does not seem to be as efficient as a basic music app, is just tuned to the “really minimal core” philosophy at first install, though this sound player has some streaming issues ( stream interrupting pauses with its own radio streams for instance) and also has minimal sound resources in codecs and list of plugins. I was wondering if basic Banshee music and media player could replace it ( I know it is a heavier set of packages compared to rhythmbox). Banshee offers another interesting option as a sound server manager and has its own equalizer plugin, plays videos and it is also thoroughly tested and updated.
Another excellent option would be SMPlayer 15. 9.0 with MPV in the really minimal core pHilosophy, its packages mean really light 30Mb including the SMTUBE (youtube search player), skins and extra themes. It also has an sound and video equalizer and plays TV and what I like most is how customizable this jewel player is.

I know of nothing better for working with (not just reading) pdf files - Okular.
I consider it to be “best of class”.
Could it be included, or does anyone know of something better?

1 Like

I would like to see Synaptic package manager installed by default, it is an important part of the system for me!. :smiley:

2 Likes

+1 for synaptic and caja actions. I also think gdebi, gtkhash, gnome-disk-utility and gnome-schedule are really useful and lightweight.

1 Like

These are the ones that I miss:

1. DeaDBeeF - lightweight music player, looks like foobar2000 on windows, i don’t like Rhythmbox
  2. qBittorrent - IMHO, best torrent client, looks like utorrent on windows, i don’t like Transmission, too many missing features
  3. htop
  4. Some small games - i remember that some were included in older buntu releases
1 Like

Timeshift - makes manual or automated system snapshots allowing an instant rollback in case of problems. Saved me many times - even today when an update broke virtualbox.

Gnome Encfs Manager. See:
http://www.libertyzero.com/GEncfsM/

Clear simple GUI using encfs that is ideal for encrypting contents of Dropbox and similar cloud services. Local transparent encryption of each individual file before sending it to Dropbox (unlike Truecrypt). Settings are remembered and automated with small key icon in panel. Works well on ubuntu mate.

Works equally well with Google Drive (if using Insync on linux).

D.

1 Like

I agree. I have a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Mate that I am using solely as a file/media server and music player. I started using Ubuntu in 2009 and switched to Linux Mint KDE in 2012. Despite this, I still consider myself a noobie because I prefer a GUI interface and avoid the command line as much as possible. I tried Raspbian, Open ELEC, OSMC, and many other OSes, finally settling on Ubuntu Mate because of my familiarity with Ubuntu and Mint, and I could easily install Samba and VNC easily from the Software Center or Synaptic. I only use Rhythmbox, Terminal, Firefox (only to easily cut and paste code into the terminal) for installing other apps and Caja. I don’t need the other applications such as LibreOffice, Thunderbird, etc… because they are on my Linux Mint laptops.

Not really that important in the overall scheme of things, but I prefer good old Xscreensaver.

If you want, xscreensaver can be added.

1 Like

I like the VLC player that plays all formats and is simple, but I’ve never been able to properly install the packages needed to play bluray, it is interesting that VLC is complete.I also install qBittorrent for downloads, Kaffeine to watch TV and telegram as messenger.

1 Like

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 comes with all the BluRay libraries VLC requires. You have to provide keys, but maybe Ubuntu MATE Welcome will have a button for that soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Automatic Password Generator (apg) is a useful small command line application. Great for generating complex passwords with ease, here’s an ease of use example.

Terminal:

apg -a1 -m24

-a Algorithm used (0/1) default is 0 pronounceable passwords
-m Minimum password length

1 Like

This sounds like it could also be used like pwgen.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/pwgen.1.html

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing GIMP being installed by default.

Hi,

Haven’t seen here yet (maybe my mistake) but a notification applet such as in Unity and XFCE (Xubuntu) have, where to find Thunderbird notifications, and rrs notifications could be very useful !
I use Liferea keep in Plank dock and FireTray for Thunderbird but i feel like “it takes space” (?)
If those things where in one place then, maybe … more useful to get news about mails and social networking stuff.
Anyway sorry for my english who’s not so “fluidly” and cool.
Thanks to the team

If you mean the “messaging menu” indicator, I believe it is Gtk3-only, so it doesn’t work with the current, Gtk2-only MATE panel. Once the MATE panel is using Gtk3, which is on the roadmap, it should work.

Thanks for that info ! But it could be nice stuff.

Hi
I’ve just installed Ubuntu Mate I think it looks great, I’m really happy with it so far.

To answer this topic’s question, I was surprised when I couldn’t find any calendar app, preferable with Google calendar synchronization. I think that’s the only essential “standard” application that I’m missing for my daily and basic use.

1 Like

I found that the Thunderbird version that comes pre-installed provided a method to use my Google calendar, which btw is also accessed by my iPhone - so no matter which device I’m using I always have the same calendar

3 Likes