Issue with Installing Ubuntu MATE alongside Windows 10

I’ve been with Ubuntu for a while, and after hearing about the switch off of Unity desktop, I decided to go ahead and dual boot with Ubuntu MATE on my new laptop (which has only had Windows 10 on it). I was hoping to dual boot between the two. I downloaded the ISO titled “ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso”, burned it to a USB stick with Rufus, shrunk my Windows partition, and rebooted into the USB stick. I was put into the GRUB boot menu with the normal options )try Ubuntu MATE without installing, Install Ubuntu MATE, etc.) and selected the “Try Ubuntu Mate” option (to set it up properly with the dual-boot). However, I am met with the following two errors (which are precceeded by some more text which I haven’t been able to copy down in time).

failed to create resource 1
failed to create platform: -16

It then shows the Ubuntu MATE loading graphic for a few seconds before going to a massive wall of repeating text and I have to force shutdown. I checked, and my old Ubuntu ISO which worked on my old PC also no longer functions on this new one. Google yielded no helpful results. Is there anything I’m doing wrong? Here’s my technical information:

Lenovo Yoga
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
Secure Boot: Off
Fast Boot: Off
BIOS Mode: UEFI
System Type: x64-based PC, x64-based processor
Processor: Intel Core i5-7200 CPU @ 2.5 GHz 2.75 GHz

Two thoughts actually,

1. Did you choose boot from UEFI device when booting from the usb?

2. You may also have to turn off Secure Boot in your bios. However, my last PC had Windows 7 so I’m not sure if that still applies.

Hallo

I tried dual-booting on an “enterprise” machine but gave up after around 18 months. It was too much trouble. I now run multiple OSs via virtualisation when required.

If
you want to dual-boot with windoze 9+1, I would suggest (particularly as your using a laptop, that you consider encrypting the Ubuntu-Mate partition during the installation process.

With regard to the installation on a Lenovo Yoga, I seem to remember there was a problem around about a year ago - Lenovo shipped some “high-end” machines on which you couldn’t install Linux. There was a fuss, and as far as I know they issued a fix. There was a thread on this forum.

Link:

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I fixed the issue on my own. I just decided to toggle boot options until something worked and it turns out all I had to do was add acpi=off to the end of one of the boot lines. My two systems work great together now. Thanks for the advice though!

1 Like

That’s great news @CHIM. If you mark this post as solved, it may help someone else on down the road.