Issue with Xresources and Ubuntu MATE

My preferred terminal is urxvt, which is configured via ~/.Xresources. But for some reason, it seems that Ubuntu MATE overrides my ~/.Xresoruces, causing me to need to run xrdb ~/.Xresources manually every time I log in. No other desktop environment causes me to need to do this (I use the same config on all machines).

I did some searching, and one of the results instructed me to open dconf-editor and disable the xrdb plugin:
org > mate > settinge daemon > plugins > xrdb

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work.

I’m not sure what in Ubuntu MATE may be overriding my ~/.Xresources file, but one thing I do know is that MATE in Debian doesn’t have this issue, so I’m not sure if it’s an Ubuntu MATE specific tweak or a problem with the newer versions of MATE.

I’m hoping that maybe someone has worked through this problem before and can give me a hand.

Regrettably, I have no experience with Xresources so I don’t know a real solution, but a workaround could be to automatically run the command as soon as you login.

Preferences → Personal → Start-up Applications

If that doesn’t work, then you may need to add a “wait” - in which case, sleep 5 && xrdb..... in a shell script and run that on login.

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn’t think of that, it sounds like a good work-around. However, I would really like to find out what is overriding my Xresources and stop it at the source. If I can’t find the culprit, I’ll consider your technique. Thank you!

1 Like