Issues with AppMenu (Global Menu)

After a fresh installation of Ubuntu Mate, I tried the global menu and it didn't work very well with some applications, I took screenshots (I'm new, so I'm going to upload only one, that annoys me the most):

Is there another way to get the global menu working well?

1 Like

Have You tried deleting and adding it again? What about changing to COMPACT MODE and seeing if it works there?
Or just reboot the OS with Global Menu enabled?

I dunno. Play around with it, maybe it will fix itself. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the answer. I have indeed tried to play a little with it, but without much success, there are imperfections that make the experience not very pleasant, but I will still settle for that for now.

Concerning the Mutiny layout, I wonder, will it ever look like Unity, I mean, technically, is it possible?

Concerning the Mutiny layout, I wonder, will it ever look like Unity, I mean, technically, is it possible?

I've been using MATE for almost a year now and there are still many little glitches that make it far from the smooth experience I had with Unity. Some of them pretty big. And the Mutiny layout depends on the dock applet. And the only dev of that applet has noted that it won't be developed further. So there is still plenty of work to do.

But for me it's still better than suffering through the choices that Gnome has made of the past years.

Huh, I didn't know that! To be clear, he is the creator and maintainer, but not the only dev of that applet. Forking it might just spur its development further, for all we know.

I hope so. Still have the plan to fiddle with it myself if I can find the time.

Please do!! We need more developers to get involved with it. :slight_smile:

@Wimpy has just contacted the maintainer, and the option of forking it directly into the Ubuntu MATE org is certainly on the table.

This will allow for faster development, as pull requests would no longer need to wait for a third party maintainer.

1 Like

We've taken ownership of the applet now:

Happy hacking!

3 Likes