Item not removed from control center

I’m trying to troubleshoot samba since caja network does not list my neighborhood (smb:/// is empty). The only change was to update my workgroup in smb.conf, add a share, and start the smbd & nmbd daemons. testparm is OK, smbtree lists my share and other shares in my workgroup.

I installed system-config-samba and gksu. Upon installing that package, control center shows an entry, samba which when clicked, lists my shares. I was told gksu is deprecated since 17.10 so I removed (and purged) system-config-samba and gksu but control center continues to show that samba entry after reboot.

HI Pavlos,

if you have Synaptic installed, open it and search for all packages related to Samba and see what if anything is still there, it might explain why the icon is still showing!.

To install Synaptic via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt install synaptic

Thanks, I installed synaptic but did not find a solution. Interestingly, after I installed, synaptic is in the Control Center (admin section). Upon removing synaptic, it is gone from control center (as it should). But the package I mentioned earlier (system-config-samba) does not behave the same.

Hi Pavlos,

did you check all the Samba packages listed in Synaptic, there are more than one!. :smiley:

I did … I 'll wipe out samba completely and start again.

I have no idea how control center gets populated.

I have the same problem (smb:/// is empty) and I did a fresh install this morning … several times in fact-:frowning:
I have to use “connect to server” and an ip address to get to smb shares on my lan.

I have added the machine names and IP address to the host … no joy
I have tried replacing both smb.conf and libuse.conf with known good copies from two other machines (running Linux Mint Mate 18.03) … no joy.
I have tried using ‘system-config-samba’ and ‘gadmin-samba’ … no joy

Getting network connectivity should NOT be this big a fight but it is.

you’re correct. I installed the daily image yesterday … still smb:/// is empty.

This is a wild hairy blue sky guess but I am thinking at this point that it requires a WINS server somewhere on the LAN.