It's getting better

I have updated yesterday and since I find that Zesty is really more reliable and faster.
It still need some ironing for a few wrinkles, but there is no major problem presently.
If anybody is waiting/lurking to give it a try, it’s a good time to try it.

Great work Zesty team!

3 Likes

On a whim, I installed it on my Sony FZ laptop this morning. I was getting frustrated with 16.10 as the kernel had issues with the embedded Intel graphics (as I’ve noted in other threads).

However, I’ve come to really enjoy the new desktop, so I did a bit of distro hopping over the last couple of days, trying several with the Mate 1.16 DE, but always found something annoying or impossible to deal with that led me, in desperation, to do something I seldom do with real hardware – use a pre-alpha build of an OS. Yeah, I could have used Mint 18.1 (and I did try it for about a day), but there’s something about it that just doesn’t feel right to me – even though it ran just fine. Personal preference, I guess.

Zesty, even this early in the development cycle, is running like a dream – much better than Yakety and even Xenial in some respects. Other than longer than usual boot and login times, it’s much more responsive than the previously mentioned versions and the annoyances with network-manager and samba have yet to appear for me.

Congrats to the whole team for what seems to me to be potentially the best release yet. I’m thinking of using this as my daily driver for at least a while and am looking forward to the final release.

2 Likes