Just wanted to say hello — I'm back. :)

I hope this is alright in here — looked like the most likely subforum in which to post.

I used Ubuntu MATE for a good while around 2014-2016, but then had to move back to Windows, and dual-booting was a pain.

For the first time since then, I have two systems again, and while I have to use Windows for Photoshop, I'm burning the distro now to install on my itty bitty play machine that I have for pleasure. :slight_smile:

I had installed Debian first — a while back, while talking about distros on reddit, someone mentioned I should give it a try since that's what Ubuntu is based on. So I did. But of course I went with the MATE desktop. And it's not bad.

But I miss my Ubuntu MATE. I miss this forum and the good people here. And I miss the simple beauty of the distro.

So yeah. Soon as this disc finishes burning, I'll get Ubuntu MATE on there, and it's good to be back! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi and welcome back...
which version of the distro will you be loading? 21.04 is working well for me :wink:

1 Like

welcome back @ieh :slight_smile:

1 Like

I've always said there's something about Ubuntu that makes it special. I was heartbroken when the Unity experiment began and I had to leave in search of a better desktop. I was overjoyed when I heard that Ubuntu-Mate existed. There's just something about Ubuntu's version of Gnome 2.x Mate that just fits so good. It's a bunch of small things, papercuts I think Shuttleworth called it once, that individually seem like they don't matter but in the totality of everything they add up to a major big deal.

This is the best distro, and it's good to be home again, eh? Welcome back!

3 Likes

Yeah! Welcome back @ieh.

1 Like

For whatever workflow you have, you can probably install the software that you want to run, or find an alternative for it. I believe people install Photoshop on Linux.

When I first started using MATE there were a couple of pieces of software I use that didn't install natively. Since then, developers have produced a Linux version, so I can use Ubuntu MATE for pretty much everything I do. I do have a gaming machine with Win10.

It's a great DE IMO, it's my favorite because I can set it up to where anything I want to do is a one-click operation to load the app. But it's more than just the one-click thing; it's having a bar on top that I can use as a quick launch, while the bottom bar shows open apps, so nothing is cluttered and I can see everything easily, and the bottom bar gets out of your way.

1 Like