Kde connect still not installing, Boutique 18.10

I was a little surprised to discover a couple of things in the boutique not working correctly on the release of 18.10. Much to my surprise kde connect is still not installing correctly a month later.

Is not released for 18.10 at this time. Please contact the ppa maintainer and ask him if he can release kdeconnect for 18.10

My point is not for me to fix this but WTF are the distro maintainers doing? If I fix my install that’s great for me, but if the distro maintainers fix the problem they fix it for everyone. It really should not be down to an individual user to be contacting a package maintainer for a solution, that’s why distros have maintainers. I would imagine that a package maintainer might be a little more responsive to a request when it’s coming from an official Ubuntu/Canonical email address, rather than [email protected].

A couple of years back if something like this happened it would have been jumped on. Either fixed or the item removed from the boutique until it was fixed or a replacement found. Now we are around a month from 18.10 released to the public and it’s still not fixed.

Firstly why wasn’t caught in beta testing? Once it was reported after release it’s not been fixed? What is happening to this distro? Ubuntu Mate was Martins love-child. Then it became an official Ubuntu flavour becoming the golden one of the family. Now it’s starting to become the ginger haired stepchild. Who is working on the Boutique? What has happened to the polish Ubuntu Mate was known for? How tricky is it for someone in testing the boutique to make sure everything works, fix or drop what doesn’t. Having clearly broken stuff like this harms the reputation on the Distro.

Please stop this kind of attitude. It’s not ubuntu mate ppa to fix it, it’s a 3rd party ppa. Again please have another attitude . Thanks

You are correct in saying it’s someone else’s ppa but it is Ubuntu Mate’s software boutique and that is what I’m brining to attention.

A regular user should be able to trust the boutique to install software. Currently it does not install it correctly. It’s the maintainer of the boutique I’m questioning not the maintainer of the ppa.

Again please stop this attitude, i will love to see from you constructive criticism not " i am entitled to all".

You are right but that maintainer has a life , a job and this app it’s maintain in what free time he has, the same maintainer works on the site and on this forum. Instead of chating with me here, send a mail to the ppa maintainer and say “please can you update kde connect ppa to 18.10 and if you need some testing i will help”. Stop demanding like this is a paid product and start helping because that it’s how a open source project works, everyone helps.

4 Likes

@PendragonUK I’ve taken 10 hours to make 2 vm’s with 18.04.x and 18.10 to test what apps are installing form software boutique and what will not install. It’s a lot of time spend on testing so that’s why a coder will not have the time to do it, i will personally do this with every release (if i still have time in the feature, because at the moment I don’t have kids or a job) so we can close this tipe of topics. P.S made the pull requests needed. Have a great day/night and please in the feature if you have problems msg me directly instead of making this tipe of post’s.

1 Like