Kernel Upgrades

I have used Linux for several years now but I admit I am a not too technicaI type of user. I am running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS, and the kernel is v 4.4.0-112.135. I noticed that the latest Kernel is v 4.15.3, should I consider updating to the latter? or should I leave it as it is?

Hi @Wayne_Deeley, The advantage of later kernels is highly debatable from “must have the latest” to “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

You said a lot with “I am not too technical” but in a question that says “I’m curious”. :grin:

Ubuntu does something unique on LTS versions. Later ISO images start with later kernels by installing a different meta package. And be aware kernels don’t update automatically but rather a meta package that ties everything together updates instead. Here’s those meta package names (and current version):

linux-generic (4.4.0.112)
linux-generic-hwe-16.04 (4.13.0.32)
linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge (4.13.0.32)

The idea is to keep up with newer hardware in the later versions. “HWE” is Hardware Enablement. The last 2 became the same versions recently for security reasons (Meltdown/Spectre). -edge is short for “bleeding edge”.

My opinion is these Ubuntu tested versions are probably stable. Beyond that (4.15) is for techies and probably not a good idea on the older 16.04 application environment.

Just some info to ponder. Grub advanced options can boot any installed kernel to get out of any issues of a new kernel if needed.

1 Like

Thanks, I have installed UKUU and get messages that a new version (4.15) is
available. I’ll try an update to one of the versions you have mentioned.
Thanks for your help.