Keyboard customisation

Hi I am strongly considering installing u.mate for all the obvious reasons.

Will the keyboard shortcuts / customisations below (the three URL’s) work in u.mate also, or are they only for other DE’s? So I don’t spend unnecessary time trying to make them work. I prefer the keyboard due to RSI.

Apologies if this question is very broad. Mainly I want to customise the keyboard to send keystrokes, except if a similar one already exists. So that I can avoid using the mouse as much as possible. The one I usually define first of all is to let numeric keypad ‘5’ (when numlock is off) generate a simple left mouse click. But I invariably create many others also.

Say if you have a better solution or download. This will be my first Linux distro, so your patience is appreciated… Thank you!

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/shell-keyboard-shortcuts.html
For all users

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/keyboard-nav.html
For users who want to use the keyboard as much as possible.

changing keybindings yourself
(There are many options here, you can just reply on those you know about)

Hallo

I’ve had to use special mice/trackballs for the last two decades.

At home I use a small touchpad (attached to the desk)

“Works on Mac, linux and all Microsoft OS” - it’s plugged directly into my Tuxedo Linux machine running Ubuntu-Mate 16.04.2.

At work I have used the following for about 18 months:

“Did you know that one in six workers are suffering from some form of RSI or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, mostly related to intensive use of a traditional computer mouse?
The HandShoe Mouse has been developed by a Dutch medical university and has been tested in a number of large organisations for almost two years. During these tests we saw many people who were suffering from RSI or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, returning to work.
The reason is that the unique and patented shape of the HandShoe Mouse fully supports your hand in the ideal relaxed position and prevents gripping and pinching, which is what occurs when you use a standard mouse.
Comes in different sizes - depending on the size of your hand
Available for Right and Left Hand
Wired or Wireless Version”

When I bought mine there was no wired version - I would prefer wired and that is the kind I would buy when this one is worn out.

At work I use Ubuntu-Mate in a VM running on W7, the handshoemouse works fine.

Please note that you need a fair “radius” of movement for the handshoemouse. For this reason I use it with a Lenovo ThinkPad Compact Keyboard. Both of these are on a “tray” below the hight of the desk for optimal ergonomic effect (that’s the way it works best for me).

The handshoemouse is really comfortable.

I hope some of this might help you. :slight_smile: