KVM switch alternatives for linux?

I have been having issues of late with UB mate rendering properly, the fonts become very small. I initially thought it was the Nvidia driver upgrade, or possibly a compiz issue but now i am fairly sure it’s my KVM switch that’s the culprit. i switch between an ubuntu mate 17.04 box & a Win 7 box, 1 monitor, 1 mouse & keyboard. I have had issue in the past with this set up but it has gotten worse since i switched my Ubuntu machine graphic card from Radeon to Nvidia 750ti. The only way to avoid the rendering issue is if the Mate box is started first, which gets to be a pain, so

does anyone have a suggestion as to how to have this set up without a wired KVM switch, maybe a software alternative, or has anyone run into a similar issue and found a permanent fix.

Thanks all!!

For a software suggestion as Remote Desktop, take a look at [https://www.nomachine.com/] (nomachine), they have Linux/Win clients, you install and you are able to connect to any machine on your network.
HTH

1 Like

If avoiding the issue can be accomplished by starting the Mate box first, why not just make sure it starts first? Do you have a shared partition where you can stash a flag as part of a startup script, so the Win7 box can check it to make sure the Mate system is started? I don’t remember how that stuff is implemented on Windows and they’ve doubtless changed it by now, but a simple file-existence semaphore seems like it ought to be workable.

Aside from that, i’ve nothing to offer on it, never worked with that type of setup that i recall.

Thanks, i’ll take a look

Iff you can run to a 2nd monitor (or 1 device is a laptop) then take a look at Synergy. Runs on Linux or Windows.

Adds the advantage of copy-and-paste across the 2 machines!