@lah7 is moving on from Ubuntu MATE

My post refers to GTK4 as your quote indicates. The page describing the GTK4 changes has been taken down, but it basically said that traditional applications won't be possible with GTK4.

There is no need for immediate concern. GTK 3.24 will probably be supported for a long time. I have no idea how long, but maybe 10 years?

So your MATE desktop can look the way it currently does unless MATE devs want to push the Gnomification like Xfce devs are currently doing. I don't say this as criticism, because from the perspective of Xfce devs they are probably preparing for the future. They want to ensure that Xfce is compatible with the direction GTK is going even if it is possible to stay with GTK3 for a long time.

Sorry if it sounded like an emergency. There is probably a 10 year transition window to GTK4.

Gotta make it interesting yourself. Check out my recent guide on GNOME Pie here if you want a fun and vaguely interesting UI toy.

That isn't entirely true — If GNOME treated CSD as an optional component where titlebar buttons are bound to already-existing menu actions and the GTK4 decorator is optional, then traditional-style menus can co-exist with traditional-style buttons.

We really have to lean on the Chinese for this one however — They are the ones who want to make a Linux desktop look like Windows with various projects bearing the name of Kylin.

This topic was automatically closed after 18 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

As you may recall at the start of this topic, I took on a reduced role to make room for other projects. I have decided the time has come for me to leave the :ubuntu_mate: Ubuntu MATE Team and continue my journey in other establishments of life and the digital world. :penguin_walking:

So... after 5 years and 4 months eh! :sweat_smile:

I've learnt and grown a lot as a developer. It all started with an idea, a pull request and from there, learning the ropes of Git, toolkits, packaging and localization to build and polish our iconic :ubuntu_mate: Welcome and :boutique: Software Boutique in addition to the website redesign and many other small tasks over the years.

I will say that :ubuntu_mate: Welcome and :boutique: are not my finest works, as it holds a lot of legacy code that will inevitably be refreshed in future. It's definitely enjoyed a lot of polish. :wind_face: :canned_food:

Thank you to all the users who used, complimented, or otherwise provided invaluable feedback/bugs and also the team for their dedication towards the project!

See you around :wave:

12 Likes

@lah7 Thank you for everything you've done for Ubuntu MATE over the years! :heart: You're contributions have made a significant impact on the quality :gem: of Ubuntu MATE and the community.

I wish you all the very best for the future, I know wherever you choose to invest your time next will benefit significantly from your skill and dedication :muscle:

8 Likes

@lah7 sad to see you go. Thanks for everything you have done and good luck.

2 Likes

Goodbye @lah7. I dream to help carry on in your place (even though I'm not much of an active MATE developer right now).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.