@lah7 is moving on from Ubuntu MATE

Greetings everyone.

After < 5 years of service, I've decided to move on from the project distro. For those who don't know, my primary role was:

• Maintaining :ubuntu_mate: Welcome and :boutique: Software Boutique since its debut in 15.04.
  • Refreshed the new ubuntu-mate.org website with the help of @madhens and @franksmcb.
  • Looked after translations.
  • Served here as chief moderator.
  • Mentoring and providing insights with the team.

Now, I will just take on a smaller role focusing on:

So... I won't hang around here much answering support queries as I focus on other projects and prospects. :male_detective:

If you've been here in the past 3 years, you may remember hints of Software Boutique 2.0. Unfortunately, I've been stuck with this for a long time, so I'm sorry I could not deliver sooner. After two rewrites, I think it's time for fresh blood to restart this development.

This is not a goodbye for good, but more of a farewell for now. :wave:

Edit: Considering this edit, I may never leave!

22 Likes

@lah7 I've said it privately but want to say: THANK YOU!

I have seen the time, love and energy you have put into Ubuntu MATE and the community and I will be ever grateful.

On a personal note your help and dedication have made it possible for me to have grown as part of this project and you will be missed!

7 Likes

You will be missed and thank you for your years of service to the Ubuntu MATE project. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fare thee well, lah7

For my part I too wish to thank you. I do not know where your journey will take you, but wish you agreeable and enriching times ahead.

May the FLOSS be with you :slightly_smiling_face:
alpinejohn

4 Likes

Is Manjaro and KDE a nice home or is desktop Linux simply less interesting these days?

Anyway, thank you for your efforts. Ubuntu MATE forum is one of the best forums despite less interaction in recent years.

I hope you are interested in the GTK fork @gordon is working on. I see you as a key person and I think you would appreciate a return of GTK2. You have a great understanding of the qualities of GTK2 and took the time to document them.

Maybe it's a futile effort, but who knows what will happen to Qt? The traditional desktop depends on a GTK fork. Otherwise MATE and Xfce will become nothing but lightweight GNOMEs (GTK4).

I never felt at home with Qt desktops and I think there are enough people interested in a traditional GTK based desktop, but of course time will tell.

Good luck whatever you do!
:slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

@lah7
Thank you and good luck on your future endeavours!

1 Like

Thanks for the work!

But I don't seen anything really wrong with the Software Boutique as it is in 20.04 at the moment. IMHO effort adding more "curated packages" to the Boutique would be better than attempts at a Boutique 2.0.

Different is not better, more packages would definitely be better.

Thank you very much @lah7 for your support and patience. Your knowledge helped us in much forms.
Good luck!

2 Likes

lah7 - Thank you for your contributions to the project. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

2 Likes

thanks for all the good works @lah7, just curious, when you said you're moving on from Ubuntu MATE, I'm wondering what the current Linux distro you're using now? thx.

1 Like

You'll be missed, bigtime, guy. Good luck in your new projects.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your service throughout all these years. You've surely participated in making this great community even greater. Wish you the best @lah7 :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Logged in to wish you well @lah7. I'm sure where ever you land next will be blessed to have you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Things change (don't they just! ) and people have to move on. But you will be sorely missed here, and a big loss to the community.

Many thanks for your help and support in the past. And special thanks for your efforts on alternate MATE colors for those of us non-greenies!

All the best for the future!

2 Likes

A loss ? I'd bet a chip that he'll be around from time to time (i.e. more often then not). To be moderator one need to be.... moderate.
And one shall assume that role with... moderation. So take a step back and reallocate your time is just sane and right decision, I'd say.

Do you know of any forum chief moderator that gets kudos these days !?

Au revoir
Asta la Vista

W

1 Like

Much success to you...wherever you go. This community forum has been very welcoming and friendly; may your successor be equally as helpful...and bring his or her expertise to improve upon and enrich these pages. Until we meet again....

1 Like

Thanks for all of your time and involvement into all of this!

Also, all of the best in your future endeavours :wink:

cheers @lah7

2 Likes

[EDIT] I originally misstated that I didn't like the way GTK3 was going. I meant Gnome. Corrected below.

I don't understand this statement. MATE switched to GTK3 back in 2017 with the 1.18 release, and it continues to run very well. I use it exclusively. I switched to it originally because (1) I didn't like the direction Gnome 3 was going, and (2) I wanted something lightweight and fast, while also keeping the traditional Gnome look and feel. I don't see anything wrong with a lightweight Gnome. Care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Thanks Luke! This is a great distro and your efforts have obviously helped make it so!

2 Likes