LAN playable games for complete Noobs - think Diablo 2

I have just discovered the joys of Ubuntu Mate 15.10. It’s allowed me to breath life into several older systems that had been running XP and even some newer systems running Windows 7. :slight_smile: I have yet to delve into getting a home theater type system running, but that will be one of my next projects.

The task which most excites me is finding a game that I can play with my whole family (wife and 13 yo son and 12 yo daughter) over our network. We used to play Diablo 2 together and had a great time doing that.

I wonder if someone could recommend a game similar to that which runs on Linux. I installed Steam and have looked around for games there, but I didn’t find anything that looked similar. We played Diablo 2 on XP and really enjoyed that. I found Plays on Linux, and I wasn’t able to figure that out. Besides, I’m not sure I want to run XP stuff on here, I’d really like to find something native to Linux. I want something we can all play and learn to love Linux together.

Would anyone be willing to make some recommendations for me? My talent in the Linux world is pretty minimal, so it would be great if it were easy to get working too. :slight_smile: I would take some FPS recommendations too, if there were a network play mode.

Not sure if it’s playable on LAN, but Torchlight 2 is very similar to Diablo 2 and I think it’s actually made by some of the Diablo 2 devs. Also check out Victor Vran, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, and Insurgency

I don’t know how close you want to get to the endless grind type of game, but there are plenty of Linux native (non-free) multi-player dungeon crawlers you might look at.

Dungeon Defenders
Lots of positive praise for this one. Highly stylized graphics and it can run on modern commodity hardware. Revived XP machines… I’m not sure.

Dungeons of Dreadmor
This one is pretty wacky and has Gauntlet style arcade gameplay.

These are just a couple of examples from my Steam library.

Thank you both VERY much! I really appreciate it. I will enjoy looking into them and seeing if I can’t get them running. I’m looking forward to it a great deal.

Thank you again. :slight_smile: