Laptop, viewing a video temps go up, are they normal?

I have a Asus G501J. With just Firefox running and a YouTube video playing on wide screen these are the temps I get:

I'm not sure if these are "normal" but in Windows they are lower than this. I'm starting to think Ubuntu Mate has something to do with it because I had the same problem with another laptop. But I'm not an expect. I'll wait for your response.
Thanks.

EDIT:
I'm using both private drivers for the two video cards, and I'm using the Intel one. This is because I have an external monitor plugged and without the private drivers I don't get a good resolution.

I guess the proprietary drivers are producing more heat than the on board Intel would, especially when gaming.

You could tell us what drivers are in use.

I just did, the private ones are active (both)… and the video card in use is the Intel one.

I mean the exact name of your graphics card. The fastest way would be from the terminal just by typing

lspci

It will tell us a lot from your hardware in use.

1 Like

Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04) 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05) 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05) 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5) 00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5) 00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5) 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM87 Express LPC Controller (rev 05) 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05) 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05) 01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev ff) 3b:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01) 3c:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5227 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

Hi @03927e9c,

looks like you have an Nvidia GPU, see the following for more info:

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure how is that going to help me with the temps problem. I’m using the drivers from the “Additional drivers” tab. My problem are the temps going high.

Thank you for reporting and indeed you already use the Nvidia card it seems. I think I cannot give better advice. I guess it is just the way your card works on this system. I am sure if you can switch to Intel only the heat would drop but then would also the performance for gaming. Is this a switchable card?

Maybe it is not that of a problem if the temps go a bit high, I mean you are gaming. 60 °C seems not that bad. I would be more concerned if I see 90 °C and more.

I am not gaming and I’m using the intel graphic card. Those temps were for just viewing a YouTube video on widescreen and in Windows I don’t get the temps doing the same task, they’re lower.

Edit: Remove confusion in first post. staff

Hi @03927e9c,

before your edit; I didn’t know what drivers or graphics card you were using, now I know so my answer is now mute!. :smiley:

Hi
Have you positively linked the watching of the video to the high temp?
Rather than temp sensors, try and see which processes are hugging the CPU using mate-system-monitor or the “htop” command line tool

There’s at least one bug that can produce high CPU temps on the launchpad tracker right now.

Sorry. I somehow mixed it with gaming, anyway I thought you were using the proprietary drivers and it was an example.
One thing I see often is high CPU and an increase in temp while watching exactly videos on Youtube, especially with Flash but also with HTML5 and with Firefox it seems to be worse than with Chrome.

When you watch a video on Youtube, open Mate System Monitor or if you have htop installed and watch the CPU usage. I guess you will see how they go up and 67 °C is IMO not the worst case even though on Windows it is lower.

So I see the CPU usage and then what?

Nobody??? Really?..