I currently have a multiple boot scenario that I’m thinking about switching to virtualisation. I’ve not found answers to my questions on line. My idea is install Ubuntu on SSD and run Win 7 and test linux as a guest OSes. The prime motivation is to simplify.
- SSD hosting Windows 7 and programs - I boot by selecting in BIOS
- 12 GB memory, Intel core i7 CPUrecovery partition on SSD [no Win7 physical media]
- internal HDD for shared data storage [NTFS]
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will replaced with UM 16.04 LTS after release
- test partition deleted plan on installing guest OSes
- ESATA 1TB drive for backups and additional storage
So here are my questions:
- Is it possible to install Windows 7 into a virtual environment from a self created iso image ?
- If possible can Windows be maintained running as guest os? Can Windows swap be on non-bootable drive?
- Can software installed be properly maintained and upgraded?
- Will installing multiple guest OSes drastically decrease the life of SSD?
- most appropriate virtualization software for my situation?
And of course any advice on how to proceed will be considered!