Live USB shuts down

Hello, I am trying to install the 20.04 version, but when I'm booting the USB stick the pc shuts down. It says it is checking files, it gets to around 30 % and just shuts down. Never had this problem before, tried xubuntu as well and the same happens. I have also tried two different usb sticks. Help much appreciated

I had a similar issue in that I couldn't get the "try without installing" live CD option to work.

I did get it installed, and it seems to be working fine, booting straight into the "install with safe graphics" option.

details here:

I was able to boot the live session on an old i5 computer so its not the stick, I believe there is an issue with the live session on some hardware that needs to be addressed.

The system I installed 20.04 on had been running 16.04 for over a year, and the 16.04 installer live session booted fine with the virgin Crucial 2TB SSD that I'd installed.

If you just want to do a simple installation, try booting into "install with safe graphics". But not having a bootable live session available makes me really uncomfortable. YMMV.

I didn't have a problem, but I canceled the disk checking. You might try that.

Its annoying that it does the disk checking every time, but letting it complete or not doesn't matter, although letting it complete once gives a bit of confidence that the USB stick write didn't go wrong.

How do you create the image on the USB's? Do you use a program or do you use a command like dd or pv & dd?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. All went fine when I booted with safe graphics. Never had to do that before. Cheers

There are quite a few ways, but Etcher seems to be the most popular. You need a program that extracts and writes the iso to your USB drive, so you can write it to your hard drive.
Etcher does that. I install Etcher from the PPA, because then it stay up to date.

I had to give up on Etcher because I was having similar problems with USB's not booting correctly. If you are on Windows maybe try Rufus?

I can't give you any real suggestions because I use dd or pv & dd, but I have to say from experience they call dd 'disk destroyer' if you are not careful when you use it. (Yes, I did wipe a disk by choosing the wrong drive.) Ubuntu does have a Startup Disk Creator that I have used in the past that works pretty good.

Exactly my experience. This is an issue with the live image that some people are trying to blame on Etcher or the stick. My USB booted fine into live mode on an old i5 using full graphics mode.

Clearly the drivers on the live image don't match what gets installed. I consider a bootable live image a necessity. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

How many potential new users will be lost when "try without installing" doesn't work?

There are plenty of programs for writing an .iso to a usb drive.

10 Best Tools to Create Bootable USB Drive for Windows or Linux ISO files

For people still using Windows but wanting to go to linux LILI was the best tool in my opinion, but I have not used it since moving to Linux, and that is quite awhile ago now.

For those still using Windows.