Lock Screen Theme (16.04)

LightDM Greeter Settings allow the user to modify the greeter of the display manager but the lock screen theme stays the same. Is there a way to modify the lock screen theme? (GTK-theme, fonts, background)

The lock screen background doesn’t appear to be able to be modified. However, you can substitute another background for the lock screen background found at

/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-common/Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.jpg

I renamed Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.jpg to Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.old and then copied my desired wallpaper into /usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-common/ and renamed it Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.jpg

An easy work-around.

Edit: The above procedure is also found here -

Edit-2: And also here, in our forum -

But what about the GTK theme and the font? The inconsistency (with lightdm and desktop) is killing me!

Haven’t the slightest idea. Good luck Jazqa.

1 Like

Side note: Aren’t we switching to GDM in the future and abandoning LightDM?

Bingo! My fresh 16.04 install is using /usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-common/Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.jpg. I renamed this file Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.jpg.old and copied my desired lock screen background into /usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-common/Ubuntu-Mate-Cold.jpg. I also renamed ubuntu-mate-day-drift.xml and put an .old extension on it.

Note well: there are three backgrounds: Desktop, Login and Lock Screen. This is about the lock screen bg.