Logitech Media Server Installation

I'm sorry, I'm new in linux use.
I've installed Ubuntu Mate on an old notebook (emachines e525) ad it works very well.
Then, I've tried to install Logitech Media Server
I've downloaded the file .deb at this page: My Media - Welcome to mysqueezebox.com!. I clicked on it to install with "snap store". At the end, snap store tell me that it's installed, but I haven't any way to find it. Nothing in the menu, in the list "installed" it doesn't appear, but with the same "snap store", at the end of installation, I could remove the software, and I did it, always without know "where" it was.
Please help me

1 Like

Welcome @clap to the community!

1 Like

You should select "Debian/Ubuntu Linux x86_64", then, click "Download ..." button, Save it, open the folder, open a terminal from there, issue command:

sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb

Finally, issue command:

sudo apt -f install

It's done! You should be able to open this program.

2 Likes

Dear NĂ©stor A.C.
thank you very much for your help
I tried to install with the command you suggested but terminal gave me this message back (sorry if it's in Italian but I’m not able to translate it):

Preparativi per estrarre logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb...
Estrazione di logitechmediaserver (8.3.1)...
dpkg: problemi con le dipendenze impediscono la configurazione di logitechmediaserver:
logitechmediaserver dipende da libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl; tuttavia:
Il pacchetto libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl non è installato.
dpkg: errore nell'elaborare il pacchetto logitechmediaserver (--install):
problemi con le dipendenze - lasciato non configurato
Si sono verificati degli errori nell'elaborazione:
logitechmediaserver

Then, I tried to launch “debian package installer” but it told me to run, in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install -f

It seems that this operation has correct something, for the software logitechmediaserver, because now in “debian package installer”, it tells me the same version is already installed, but I can't find the icon in menu and I don't even know how to launch it!

1 Like

Hi
No knowledge of subject but here is translation on web searching for translate italian to english. May help others.

Preparations to extract logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb... Extracting logitechmediaserver (8.3.1)... DPKG: Dependency issues prevent LogitechMediaServer configuration: logitechmediaserver depends on libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl; however: The libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl package is not installed. dpkg: Error processing Logittech MediaServer packet (--install): Problems with dependencies - left unconfigured Processing errors occurred: logitechmediaserver

3 Likes

Hi, @clap (Cláudio) :slight_smile:

To supplement the good answers that @nestorac and @mendy have already given you in this topic:

1 - You may want to check if the libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl package got installed as intended (that package, per the output you've included, is a dependency for the logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb package) by running the following command:

sudo dpkg --status libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl

In my case, that package is not installed, and so I get the following message:

dpkg-query: package 'libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files.

If you get a message similar to that one (in your case, you'll probably get a message in Italian), then install that libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl package first by running the following command:

sudo apt install libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl

2 - To check what files (and their respective locations) will be / have been installed by installing the logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb package, run the following command in the same directory (folder) of that file:

dpkg --contents logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb

3 - Run the following command to confirm that the logitechmediaserver package got installed:

sudo dpkg --status logitechmediaserver

In my case, that package is also not installed, and so I get the following message:

`dpkg-query: package 'logitechmediaserver' is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files.

4 - If the logitechmediaserver package is still not installed in your computer, run the command to install it, by running the following command in the folder (directory) where you saved the logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb file:

sudo dpkg --install logitechmediaserver_8.3.1_amd64.deb

5 - I have never tried to install nor run "Logitech Media Server" (LMS), but you may want to check the following web pages:

(the first web page above adds the information that "Logitech Media Server is the new name for Squeezebox Server, starting with version 7.7")

Apparently, the installation of that logitechmediaserver package will start a web server in the computer where you installed it and it will be listening in port 9000. So you may want to try to use your web browser to access the "Logitech Media Server" Web interface at http://IP-address-of-your-computer:9000 (replace "IP-address-of-your-computer" by the IP address of your computer)

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you
I can only work on this on weekends
I'll try as soon as possible and let you know

2 Likes

I checked, and it said libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl is already installed.

Then i searched for software localization and it is in
./usr/share/squeezeboxserver

In the following directory:
./usr/share/squeezeboxserver/bin/x86_64-linux
there are some executables (faad, flac, mac, sox, wvunpack). I tried to run they (like admin), but nothing happens.

Now I don't know what to do anymore
Excuse me, I'm a bit clumsy with computers. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll have to quit, as I can't listen to music on my speakers with my amp, but I don't want to go back to windows for this problem!
To your knowledge, could there be another ubuntu distro that gives less problems of this kind?

Hi, @clap :slight_smile:

That's good! And have you checked that the logitechmediaserver package also got installed by running the command sudo dpkg --status logitechmediaserver ?

As I've said in my previous reply, I don't use LMS (Logitech Media Server) myself, so I'm afraid I can't help you much there. Having said that, I've also written the following in my previous reply:

So, if I were you, in that same computer where you installed LMS, I would start by checking if it's listening in port 9000, by running the following command (that lists the listening TCP ports in your computer):

sudo ss -ltpn

In the output that you'l get, check in the "Local Address:Port" column, if you find anything that mentions ':9000'. In my computer that runs Ubuntu MATE 22.04, as I don't have LMS installed, I only get the following output that shows that the only TCP ports that are listening are ports 53 and 631:

$ sudo ss -ltpn
State     Recv-Q    Send-Q       Local Address:Port        Peer Address:Port    Process                                                                         
LISTEN    0         4096         127.0.0.53%lo:53               0.0.0.0:*        users:(("systemd-resolve",pid=821,fd=14))                                      
LISTEN    0         128              127.0.0.1:631              0.0.0.0:*        users:(("cupsd",pid=1150,fd=7))                                                
LISTEN    0         128                  [::1]:631                 [::]:*        users:(("cupsd",pid=1150,fd=6))     

If you do get a line that has :9000 in some line for that "Local Address: Port" column, then LMS is correctly listening to that 9000 port :slight_smile: In that case, also still in that same LMS computer, try to open a web browser and access http://127.0.0.1:9000 to see if the LMS web interface appears. By the way (in case you don't already know): 127.0.0.1 is the so-called "localhost" (or "loopback") IP address and will only work in that same computer.

When you run the sudo ss -ltpn command in your LMS computer, what output does it return?

Also, please tell what is the output of running the following 2 commands in your LMS computer:

sudo systemctl status logitechmediaserver

sudo systemctl is-enabled logitechmediaserver

2 Likes

Thank you very much. As soon as possible for me, I'll try!

1 Like