Logitech Mouse Functionality

I know very little about Linux and Ubuntu. I just updated from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS because I was having some hardware issues (no mic on zoom meeting). Which created a new bigger problem for me.

I use a Logitech mouse that I set up with an onboard profile to bind keystrokes to one of the 13 buttons. Eg. Ctrl-Tab, Ctrl-W, Ctrl-T, Enter, Alt-F4. Typically once saved to the mouse profile this works on any computer I take the mouse to, windows, mac, Linux. For some reason after I installed 20.04 all of the custom functions do not work. I"m not sure if this is a bug or by design.

Does any one have some advice? My only thought is to revert to 18.04? or install a completely different version, maybe non lts.

I did get a notice that some third party sources were disabled upon upgrading.

Hi :slight_smile:
Do you mean that you have reprogrammed your mouse to send some special key combinations like Ctrl-tab and this is working also on a other computer with no configuration on this other computer ?
Maybe configuring it again as you done on 18.04 will make it work again.
I don't think this is really related to your OS, more that the mouse have forgotten the config next to a power issue or a unwanted reset.
Do not format, I doubt it will reverse your mouse config.

I upgraded another computer to 20.04 and tested there and had the same results where the commands from the button did not work. Tested the mouse on a completely different 18.04 computer 2 windows 7 computers. The 18.04 worked as well as both other windows computers. This leads me to believe there is either a setting in the OS or a change in the OS that is causing this and it's not hardware related. On the 20.04 computers I tried USB 3.0 ports as well as the 2.0 ports This did not matter for either computer. I tested on a windows machine between testing each 20.04 to make sure that everything was still functioning. The windows machines used for testing had never had this mouse plugged into them before nor did the have logitech set point installed.

The software used to set the mouse profiles is called set point and originated from a 3rd windows computer. The software writes the profile to the mouse and it survives power cycles as well as battery replacement.

I see,
Plug your mouse to the ubuntu 20.04 computer, open a terminal and run this command to identify your mouse ID :

xinput list

Search for the ID of your mouse and next, try :

xinput test <id of your mouse>

Try pressing all buttons to see if the xinput receive the function combinations.

Maybe ubuntu ignores those keys, maybe a wrong driver got loaded or is missing.

I searched harder and found a fix. Something was up because it recognized all buttons 0-9 but not beyond. I blame the mouse having more than 10 buttons but it's also very nice.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to another site or not but this was where i found a solution that worked.

Thank you Olek for your help i do appreciate it.

1 Like