Logitech Wingman Attack 3 joystick not working

Hi, this will be the 5th time that I try Mate distro in my life because I hate Windows with a passion and I want to be Windows free for the remainder of my life.
That being said, after installation I connected my Logitech Attack 3 joystick and nothing happened???
No "New hardware found", and "Software Installed"......
Then I started looking through internet searches, even went to Logitech, NO software download for this product.
So what I found was too technical for me like building my own drivers.................
Out of my reach, no way.

So I ask, what am I to do?
If Linux wants more people to drop Windows, you gotta have plug and play because I am not a programmer and to old to learn.
And if my memory is correct, the 4 previous times I tried Linux I ended up with about the same problem (hardware relayted) and just deleted the drive.

Please someone tell me "you can find the drivers here".........
Or here is an easy solution.....
If I can't use my joystick on Linux I will be erasing the drive for the last time.

I pray someone has the solution,
Thanking everyone in advance,
Rusty.

You should not need separate joystick drivers. Joystick support is built into Linux (and has been for 10+ years).

First we need to find the USB device ids of the Logitech Attack 3 joystick. Open the terminal and type:

lsusb 

Linux should attach drivers based on the USB device ids.
What do you get for the device ids?

djb

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the Ubuntu MATE Community

About your joystick:

• There's no notification when you hook up something (not storage related) in this distro and there's generally no need to install any software for your hardware to work.

A quick "Logitech Wingman Attack 3 Linux" search brought me this:

• It appears that your device has been supported in the Linux Kernel since Linux 2.6 (ages ago) and should be recognized out of the box according to some forums. Here's one:
    https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?t=29217 you might want to ask there as well, should there not be joystick wizards among us. There are cases where the joystick is well recognized but not working with all programs (missing packages ?).

• Packages related to "joystick" you might want to install:
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=joystick
    you might want to sudo apt install -y joystick xserver-org-input-joystick and reboot. They're not installed by default as you can see with dpkg -s joystick and dpkg -s xserver-org-input-joystick.

About your rant:

• Linux is more plug ang play that Windows for the vast majority of devices as you don't require to install drivers 99 times out of 100 since the drivers are included in the kernel. Hardware vendors generally don't bother writing drivers for the 1% Linux Steam users out there, especially when there are people doing their work for free. I built a brand new PC two weeks ago. Didn't have to install a single driver. Didn't even have to install anything since my install (from the previous computer) works flawlessly with it. Try doing that with Windows.

• I'm not sure you hate Windows that much if the inability to use a 15 year-old exotic piece of hardware keeps you from ditching it.

• Usually, it is a good thing to check whether some piece of hardware is compatible with Linux before buying it. Hopefully nowadays, most things are.

• «Linux» doesn't want more people to drop Windows, you're free to use whatever floats your boat. The goal is to achieve things, not to grab 99% of the OS marketshare.

• Coming to one of the friendliest GNU/Linux community forums with an attitude like «I swear this is the sixth and last time I try your operating system if you don't solve my problem» generally doesn't help solving your problem. We're trying to help and do this for free in our free time. We can't solve everything and sometimes when we do, we don't even get a «thanks» or a feedback which can be discouraging to say the least.

• While it is ok to be angry, we don't even know what release of Ubuntu MATE you're using.

1 Like

Hi and thank you for answering,
here are the results with lsusb:

steve@Warspite:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 1532:006e Razer USA, Ltd Razer DeathAdder Essential
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1915:0f01 Nordic Semiconductor ASA Wireless Receiver
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c214 Logitech, Inc. ATK3 (Attack III Joystick)
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
steve@Warspite:~$

Utsuro's suggestion is next.

Rusty.

Hi Utsuro and thank you for answering.
I am running the latest Mate distro 20.04.2 LTS.

This IS me..... "Hardware vendors generally don't bother writing drivers for the 1% Linux Steam users out there,"

I think you are starting to understand me a little better.

There are a lot of Steam users out there.

I also don't generally use forums, those are for extremely unsolvable problems.

The anger that you speak of is from Windows and Microsoft and it is carrying over to Linux because I need to get rid of Windows and I am having problems adjusting to Linux and no joystick!!!!

This is the second time I have to use the Terminal, something I will be avoiding at all costs because I don't know the commands, period. I know Windows very well and can do whatever I want with it.
I have to spend hours just to find a close resemblance of a utility I was using in Windows.

Some of the reasons why I hate Windows, extremely intrusive regarding your personal life, it welcomes with open arms Apple's Bonjour networking system on top of it's own and leaves your computer vulnerable to the world by opening your firewall and you can't get rid of it. It's worst then a virus. If you need more examples, let me know.

It is frustrating.

Thank you again for the info.
Now I will try your " Packages related to "joystick" you might want to install:"

Cordially,
Rusty.

1 Like

Hi again, what would replace MSI Afterburner to automatically control my GPU's fan speed in Linux?

Thank you,
Rusty.

Depends on the GPU. CoreCtrl for AMD, GreenWithEnvy for Nvidia

for CoreCtrl
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ernstp/mesarc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install -y corectrl

For GreenWithEnvy, there's a Flatpak available. There's a link to the instructions on the website above.

Hi again Utsuro, well fancontrol does not exist anymore, core control is installed but not very useful since i don't have an AMD gpu and Greenwithenvy is downloaded as a zip file, but don't know what to do with it because there are no instructions. This is the most important app for me.

My computer is a Dell T5500 workstation (Xeon cpu with ECC memory) and the case fans in Windows con only be controlled by fanspeed because it is Dell proprietary hardware. I have ordered a physical fan controller from Ebay to bypass this.

So as you can see, I am willing to adapt to Linux but there is a frustration limit which I seem to be approaching.

I want to Thank You again for the help you have provided,
Cordially,
Rusty.

What is the model number for your joystick? Look on the bottom -- if it is M/N: J-UJ18 then it should work. We can debug why it is not working if you would like.

I suspect none of the Linux Kernel developers have specifically tested the model you have.

I have never fooled with a USB joystick so I have no experience with this type of device. Network cards I have lots of experience with and have written drivers for.

djb

Learning a new operating system requires a bit of patience.
Didn't expect you to install CoreCtrl if you don't have an AMD gpu. I mentioned both options since you did not tell us what GPU brand you're using.

I told you GreenWithEnvy was available as a flatpak with the instructions on this site:

You don't have to download a zip file.

https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/

then
flatpak install flathub com.leinardi.gwecontent_copy