Long Term Support vs Rolling Linux Release: 'Arch vs Ubuntu MATE'

It just goes over stuff that most of us already are aware of; a nice read, though. :relaxed:

But here is an article quote with a bit of irony to some of us :wink:.

""Arch has seen errors with greater frequency simply because new updates are being introduced with greater frequency. One of my favorite examples was an annoying error a year or so ago from an Xcursor update.

There have been others, but this one was a bit of a problem. After all, using X… without a mouse… it took me about a day to finally figure out what the problem update was…I rolled it back and eventually a fix was released. No big deal…unless you’re not aware of the problem."

"Next we have a distro like Ubuntu LTS. Once installed, the updates have never broken anything for me – ever."

And this write up even has a couple of conspicuous blue links to this site!

A pleasant chunk quoted from from the article’s summary:

"Myself, my “goto” fixed release distro is Ubuntu MATE. Contrary to popular belief, there are specific things added that make this a great install and forget it distro"

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/long-term-support-vs-rolling-linux-release-1.html

1 Like

Hi mated

So instead of getting dumped on, a rolling release divides it out a little at a time.

Once I get off the developmental version (16.04) and settle in, changes are rare. I neglect the updates (update manager removed) and I will still get dumped on when I do a update :slight_smile: So I guess it won’t matter to me.

Quote from link:

Myself, my “goto” fixed release distro is Ubuntu MATE. Contrary to popular belief, there are specific things added that make this a great install and forget it distro.

And Mate shines yet again :smiley:

1 Like

Hi v3xx

There are so many varieties of different opportunities - to get into a vast assortment of things in the Linux world - even if we stay in with only one distro. :construction_worker:

UMATE, appears to be moving to the top, though, and before it has an inaugural LTS even! :clap:

Hi chaps,

even Ubuntu has problems with updates that break things, it has happened to me a few times in the past, although it is very rare; it can happen so always keep at least 2 old kernels installed in case you need to go into “Recovery Mode”!. :smiley:

1 Like

Autoremove will not let you do that anymore, it will keep only one old kernel. Which works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like