Looking for advice on GOOGLE services integration

@acutbal

No, I just used Outlook as an example.

I want to use a program like outlook (Such as Evolution or Thunderbird) in Mate, but with Google’s Services (Gmail, Calendar, Contacts) with two way Sync Capability

So far the only thing I’ve been able to make work with any reliability is Email via IMAP.

I can export my contacts, and get READ ONLY access to my calandar in the client program, but have not been able to get 2 way sync working reliably with various methods.

I was hoping someone might have already figured out a working solution to this since my own efforts have left me wanting to drop my computer out a 10 story window :stuck_out_tongue: ((EDIT: And to be fair, this isn’t a MATE specific issue. There really isn’t a good solution for WIndows/Outlook either))

@VinceN Ok, then you can use Thunderbird and these extensions:

Google Calendar: Lightning + Provider for Google Calendar

Google Contacts: gContactSync

All of these extensions have two way Sync Capability. Best of all, you can use Thunderbird with these extensions in the OS you wish.

Regards!!

1 Like

@acutbal I’ve tried both those options and they haven’t really worked reliably. For some reason the way Google handles recurring appointments with changes made to any individual appointment seems to break them. I really want a native solution but that would require google to play ball and I don’t think they are willing.

Hey, I really appreciate your responses, i’m not trying to shoot everything down. I really think this is a matter of Google not wanting to play ball and support standards (which is disappointing but not anyone’s fault but Google’s.)

Now that being said, I haven’t tried those utilities on MATE so i’m going to give that a go when I get back home today. If it dosen’t work (and no further idea’s from anyone else are forthcoming) I’m starting to think it might be time to learn how to admin a mail server.

1 Like

@VinceN You welcome!! :grinning:

I’m also interested in a solution for reliable integration of some Google services (Or other providers) into Ubuntu Mate.

Best regards!! :grinning:

I might have missed a nuance in theses responses … apologies if so
I’ve been able to use Thunderbird and my iPhone as a PIM.

• 3 email addresses verizon, yahoo, and gmail
  • use gmail’s capability to check email from other accounts using POP3 [configured on the web]
  • use Thunderbird to read email using IMAP [all three email addresses available]
  • installed Lightening, Lightening Calendar Tabs, & Provider for Google Calendar
  • pointed iPhone 5s to gmail

All email and calendar events are “in synch” and available to iPhone, Dell Laptop, HP desktop.
advantages to using Thunderbird in this fashion:

1. available in Windows
  1. available from any computer using Web

@pfeiffep

Sounds really close to what I want… If you don’t mind a few questions.

What version of UbuntuMate are you running?
What version of Thunderbird?

Does this get you Google Contacts sync as well?

Don’t mind at all! :wink:
#####What version of UbuntuMate are you running?
16.04 LTS standard install
#####What version of Thunderbird?
38.8.0 whatever is installed with and upgraded via UM
#####Does this get you Google Contacts sync as well?
I’m hesitant [actually avoided] to try the contacts route since I use iPhone contacts

If you decide to try this, and you have multiple email accounts, allow some time [hours] for gmail to retrieve the POP3 accounts. My memory is sketchy as to how long since I first set this up 4 years ago on Ubuntu 12 and an earlier TB version. The main advantage to me is I don’t have email configuration issues when upgrading OS

@pfeiffep

So I got home and gave this a shot and found the same issues I have been having all along.
I’ve uploaded a screenshot detailing the issue.

My Issue

This is a side by side of my main calandar. Note I have other calendars with random info (mostly local sports teams schedules) and these display just fine.

The issue seems to be with reoccurring appointments that have one of their instance’s changed. If I change the time of one of the ocurrances, none of them display correctly in the client program. I don’t think this is Mate, Ubuntu, Thunderbird, or Providers fault; based on the fact that I get this SAME behavior in almost any sync program I attempt to use. It’s really annoying and at this point is making me want to find a whole different provider other than Google that is willing to play nice with my stuff… Though I have no idea who that would be since I want to sync between my phone and my PC and i’m pretty heavily invested into Google’s ecosystem.

Funny, I did that to get away from Microsofts Vendor lock in back in the day, yet here we are. :thumbsdown:

So Evolution, available in the Software Boutique, also has complete Google integration. Thunderbird in Ubuntu MATE 15.10 and 16.04 onwards also comes pre-installed with the required extensions to integrate with Google Contacts and Calendars.

Both have worked for me, I’ve not seen the issue you’re running into :cry:

For Google Drive integration I recommend InSync, also in the Software Boutique. It is proprietary, but so is Drive, and costs $15 but offers a Dropbox like symc solution.

1 Like

I seem to remember that I had a similar problem with my personal calendar that was some how related to setup and a step I overlooked in Thunderbird. If it comes to me I’ll post back with the exact step.

Possibly this page will help >>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/installing-lightning-thunderbird

@Wimpy: A response from the project founder? I’m honored sir! :slight_smile:

I’ll give evolution a shot when I get back home, though I remember the same issues back in the Ubuntu Hedgehog days I remember it being my preferred client.

I’m still debating what to do for a cloud solution as I have been using OneDrive. I was sad to learn that Ubuntu shut down it’s service.

@pfeiffep: Is that different than the Lightning extension currently bundled with Thunderbird by default? Should I uninstall and reinstall it?

@VinceN - I had reason to boot into my test UM 16 partition so I looked at TB … here are the steps I overlooked

In TB main menu

File>New>Calendar>Network>Google

@pfeiffep

I Have no issues adding the calendars themselves (using the steps you provided) its the individual events specifically that don’t work right.

I’m out of ideas now :confounded:

I’ll set up a recurring event, then edit a future occurrence to see if I can simulate your experience.

Are you primarily entering events and editing on Google’s web Calendar interface?

Have you tried and eliminated Evolution suggested by @Wimpy

@pfeiffep

Don’t worry, It’s a vexing issue and is affecting multiple projects and programs. I’m still convinced the root issue is on Google’s end. I really appreciate your help!

I am primarily using the Google Web Interface

I have not had an opportunity to try Evolution yet. Plan to do it when I get home tonight. I’ll report back here and tag both of you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used Google's calendar web interface to create a recurring event
Checked TB - it didn't show until I clicked synch
edited event on web to change 1 day
edited event on web to change another day

see a recurring theme here? :yum:

1 Like

Huh! That’s interesting.

I did hit the sync button and it shows over 2000 items synching, but none of them are the missing items.

I’m wondering if this might be some more generic level issue with just that one specific calendar. I’m going to give Evolution a shot as @Wimpy suggested and if that does not work what I may try doing is just build a whole new calandar and rebuild my entries and see if that yeilds any results.

1 Like

@pfeiffep
@Wimpy

I’m pleased to report that Evolution has synced my Calendar along with the problematic recurring events. IT did NOT sync a lot of my secondary calendars which are provided by Google but I suspect I can manually add them and they can be read only since they are updated by outside sources.

Evolution did not sync my contacts so that’s my next hurdle, but still… Progress!!!

2 Likes

I just tried Evolution on UM 16 in a virtual environment - much easier to set up with gmail and calendar. Looks really nice.

Available for MAC and Windows also

Just use Evolution

sudo apt-get install evolution

It has seamless integration with google services (email, calendar via caldav and contacts via carddav) and even exchange web services (if you use outlook.com or some corporate exchange server). Just setup your gmail account and your done.

If you want to use the account plugin backend you need to install the gnome calendar app to get access to google calendar, gnome contacts and for email you can use whatever you want with imap. If you use this method you need to setup your google account in online accounts prior to use these apps.

Best bet it to use evolution route.