Make greeter transparent

Having used Ubuntu since 12.10 > 14.04 LTS I prefer a transparent greeter vs the default UM greeter. I posted both here and Ubuntu Forum and found a solution on Ubuntu Forum Here are the steps that worked for me:

1. re-install unity-greeter [computer had Ubuntu 16 installed with Mate desktop]

2. mkdir /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d

3. create file 99_myconfig.conf containing

[Seat:*]
    greeter-session=unity-greeter

sudo must be used to insure proper ownership :slight_smile:
Upon reboot I was able to choose either Mate or Ubuntu and the greeter box was transparent.
I will try this on my laptop which has only Ubuntu Mate 16

Regards,
Pete

2 Likes

Thank you for the instructions. I do quite like the transparent greeter. :slight_smile:

In 3 lines of terminal commands: :ok_hand:

sudo apt-get install unity-greeter --no-install-recommends
sudo mkdir /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/
echo -e "[Seat:*]\ngreeter-session=unity-greeter" | sudo tee --append /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/99_myconfig.conf

Under Ubuntu MATE 16.04, it's a bit blank:

Customization options are in dconf-editor under com.canonical.unity-greeter

1 Like

Hello everyone tried to make changes in dconf
none of the changes stuck is there away to reverse this.

@linuxuser701 If your question relates to the specific name of the background

/usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png

That is hard coded so you can’t change the name. To achieve placing your own image as background you can rename the images. I strongly suggest that your image is a .png. You may use gimp to change a jpg image to png by using the export feature.

sudo mv /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png  /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png.org
sudo cp YOUR COMPLETE IMAGE NAME /usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png
sudo update-grub

Regards,
Pete

Thanks Pete I will try this you hammer the right nail. I am going to wait until i can install 16.04 on my desktop. It will be my stable machine So i can fool around and break things on my laptop. It feels good to use linux i have messed things up a lot but it is my fault and can usually be fixed that and viruses on my previous os is why i switched to puppy first then ubuntu 9,04 and have used linux ever sense,

1 Like