Marco window manager crashes after reboot

When I installed 18.4 I kept the old home directory, the problem carried over, if I didn’t find this solution I was going to give up on Mate.

Hi,

I'm on 18-04. Miss 16-04. Have exactly same issue with Marco WM, and fix it like mentioned above by going into Mate tweek and changing the WM.

However I have a further problem: ALL the menu items in all the programs running no longer show.

In a comment from DoubleU I'm going to try creating a new user account and see if the problem carries over.

Hi,

In creating a new user the problem was resolved, and did not carry over to the new account. This should be useful information for the power users here.

Other symptoms:

1. when there's an issue with the WM the cursor turns to a cross when floating over the desktop but not over an open app.

2. I use a second screen connected to my laptop. The menus I've defined only show on my main screen, the lap top. When a window is maximized I loose the title bar where there are the close, minimize and maximize buttons, that end up hidden by my top menu bar. If I move the window to the other screen, having no menus displayed on it, I can see the title bar again.

3. This is the strangest symptom, but maybe more meaningful to someone: when I open up the FireFox customize menu, the scroll down menu at the bottom left where you can request the menu line (File, Edit, etc.), and the Favourites menu: well the menu line item is no longer in the list. In the new account it is there. It was there before this problem started.

Hi,
I'm now on Ubuntu Mate 20.04.6 and this problem has come back after some updates. The solution by DoubleU at the bottom of the first page of this thread works but the files are now called:

• marco.desktop.desktop
  • marco-crompton.desktop.desktop

I renamed them, placing an "X" at the beginning of their existing file names, being more paranoid than most, which worked like deleting them. After logging out and logging back in the issue is no longer present but to my surprise Marco did not create new version of the files, fyi.

Thanks DoubleU.

xian555