Martin Wimpress is Canonical New Desktop Director

Oaaau ... look what I read...
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Will-Cooke-Leaving-Canonical

Is Mate becoming Default Canonical Ubuntu Desktop?

18 Likes

Well many congratulations are in order for @Wimpy!!! While I doubt that Mate will become the default desktop - I fully believe with everything that he has done with Ubuntu-Mate will blossom into Ubuntu Main!

6 Likes

Happy for him !
Let's hope it won't negatively impact Ubuntu MATE's future.

6 Likes

Personally I think Martin might use his position maybe to bring more help to this desktop, if he can.
I don't think anyone that founded, and put passion in a project will abandon it, but lives move on, and things might change, but don't forget that Mate is a Desktop ( also Ubuntu distribution) and his position is Canonical Desktop Director..
Regarding Mate becaming a default Ubuntu desktop, my question it was more rhetorical, as Ubuntu Is commercial focused, it might not happen, as client dictates, but nothing is impossible.

4 Likes

Congrats @Wimpy, you really deserve it ! You manage one of the greatest linux distro, good luck bro :wink:

4 Likes

Congratulations now he can spend all of his time refining ui, whether it be Gnome or MATE

3 Likes

You are simply awesome @Wimpy!

5 Likes

Congrats. @whimpy. Make UM even greater.

3 Likes

Hey people, this is not an "official announcement"
It is more like "Look what I read there! What is your opinion about it".
So your congratulations sounds to me like "in the air", "off topic", there are better place to offer them...

3 Likes

See here https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/10/canonical-has-a-new-ubuntu-desktop-director

1 Like

@Wimpy
Congratulations!
Many thanks for Ubuntu Mate!
And... open source is not that career dead end, after all!

4 Likes

I think this is as good a place as any for it! This is the community forum for Ubuntu MATE, he's obviously a part of this community, so why not have a community post to congratulate him on this milestone - I think it's very appropriate. So thanks for starting this thread :slight_smile: (and congratulations to @Wimpy, this is an awesome achievement! :man_dancing:)

9 Likes

I'm very happy to read those news...

Congratulations Sir @Wimpy !!!

2 Likes

Ok @vkareh, if you think so, I will also congratulate @wimpy for his new position.

Personally I think he does not need our congratulation, because just simply he deserve it, he and his team made the best Linux Desktop distribution, so this is like a reward for his achievement, his expertise.

I also want to wish a lot of success to you, to all people that contribute, put effort to make Mate Desktop, and Ubuntu Mate, the best, without all of you Mate desktop has not achieve the success that it has.

Thank you all,

2 Likes

Congrats @Wimpy. May MATE takes it all over

2 Likes

Wimpy was our Shepard and we did not want"
Each flavor has it's "Shepard"
We were fortunate to have Wimpy was ours. However - Gnome Ubuntu is the flagship flavor and that is where he will have to devote most of his efforts. Will there be a new MATE leader(appointed) anointed to tend to the MATE Flock ?

1 Like

This post made me smile :smiley:

Thankfully, @Wimpy will continue being our leader. If anything, he'll be more involved in the desktop side of things, which means (my hope) that MATE might get some extra love. We'll see

7 Likes