MATE 1.10 When?

Correct. I will bring MATE 1.10 to Ubuntu MATE 15.10 but I am undecided if I will bring MATE 1.10 to earlier Ubuntu MATE releases.

1 Like

Putting on my software testing hat I would counsel not bringing MATE 1.10 to “current” versions of Ubuntu MATE - there is an enormous amount of change under the bonnet and there will be regressions. My suggestion is:

14.04 LTS - definitely not
14.10 - only if it isn’t much extra work over 15.04
15.04 - as a PPA for those who are willing to put their head in the lion’s jaws
15.10 - but of course :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Mate 1.10 & Ubuntu Mate 15.10

I know developers have better things to do, but was wondering if you could throw a few peanuts our way.

Is there a ETA in sight yet?

Thanks

Remember, it’s developer — no s — it’s just Wimpy.

The feature freeze for 15.10 is scheduled for around the end of August, so if it’s going to be in Wily it should be there by then. Based on Wimpy’s track record, since he said it’ll be in 15.10, it will be :wink:

Firstly, it is developers :slight_smile:

I am an upstream MATE developer, which means I know stuff :wink: There are good reasons why MATE 1.10 is not in Ubuntu MATE 15.10 or other PPAs right now. Here are some of them:

• We planned for many MATE 1.10 bug fix point releases. Those are now all released, as of 2 days ago, and include significant improvements to the help documentation and many bug fixes.
  • I have elected to sync MATE packages from Debian into Ubuntu without any modifications. I do this because I am a MATE maintainer for Debian.
  • The Debian MATE team have uploaded most of the MATE 1.10 packages to Debian experimental about a month ago. Bugs have been found and fixed.
  • Currently there is no help documentation for MATE in Debian or Ubuntu due to Debian not recognising GFDL licensed documentation as free software. However, the MATE documentation does not include invariant sections, which Debian do accept as free software. I’ve been liaising with Debian legal to get approval that we can indeed ship the MATE help and documentation in Debian. I got that confirmation yesterday, which means just about every package needs updating.

In short, I don’t want to release stuff when I know significant changes are coming. But as you can see, lots of work on MATE 1.10 has been going behind the scenes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Firstly, it is developers :slight_smile:

Glad to have misunderstood :wink:

I think it’s great that Ubuntu MATE shares so much with Debian.

Thanks for the explanation.

Is the documentation process something you need help with?

@v3xx Thanks for asking, but no need. Now we’ve got the legal issue sorted we can push on with the documentation we have :smile:

+1 for backporting MATE 1.10 into 14.04 :wink:
we’ll hoping it
thanl you for your great job

And its here. Mate 1.10 in Ubuntu. Way to go :smiley:

@v3xx It is only about 6 MATE 1.10 packages right now. Another 20 still need uploading to Debian.

Thanks Wimpy

(and this will give me 20 characters)