MATE 1.10 When?

Anybody knows when mate 1.10 will be available ??

There are some ppa for ubuntu but they still have 1.8.2 in it.

Is there any place where I could get MATE 1.10 to start playing with it ???

Regards,
Bernard :frog:

1 Like

MATE 1.10 has not been released yet. Soon, though. Soon.

2 Likes

Is there allready a timeline when 1.10 will be available?

@wizd3m
News
2015-06-11 MATE 1.10 released

Depending on how much work you want to put into it, Arch Linux has 1.10.

@IvCHo I know that it has been released. I meant: when will it be available for Ubuntu MATE :wink:

2 Likes

Having completed the last steps of release engineering for MATE 1.10 itself, and completed the MATE 1.10 packaging for Arch Linux, I am now doing the lions share of the work to package MATE 1.10 for Debian Experimental. I’d say I am about 80% through that and my Debian sponsor (technical team for a Debian Developer who reviews/uploads packages) has uploaded about half of those packages to Debian Experimental. Progress is good :slight_smile:

When all the MATE 1.10 packages are in Debian experimental, I’ll sync them to the Ubuntu 15.10 archive. I would estimate that the Ubuntu MATE 15.10 daily images will include MATE 1.10 in 2 or 3 weeks.

As for back porting MATE 1.10 to Ubuntu MATE 14.04 and 15.04, I haven’t decided about that yet.

2 Likes

Well, guess we will be updating to 15.10 then :wink:

Nice!!!
Envoyé de mon terminal mobile

Will we have the GTK 3 support in it.

Thanks

Not for a while yet in Debian or Ubuntu. Although the GTK3 build works (I’ve been using it daily for months with no crashes) there are a few minor rendering issues we need to address, most notably in the Appearance Preferences.

The bigger issue is that you can’t use GTK2 panel applets on the panel built against GTK3, this means mintMenu, MATE Menu, and other popular community applets won’t work until they are adapted to support GTK3. Some MATE applications, such as Eye of MATE and Pluma also have some plugins written in Python using PyGTK and PyGTK is GTK2 only. Therefore we need to port or drop those plugins.

It is for the reasons above why the GTK3 support is considered experimental, not because it doesn’t work, but because there is the potential of a degraded user experience.

Are the applets all done in Python? I’m learning, it may be a good entry level point for beginner coder to get involved? Or is it much more difficult than it sounds?

The applets are mostly in C. The issue with applets is that you can mix GTK2 and GTK3 which share common code. So an applet built against GTK2 simply can’t work with mate-panel built against GTK3.

Gotcha…so on a side note…someone who barely knows any python that wants to help on the code side…where would you point them. I really would like to do more than just merchandise. Or is their another area the project needs help with…unfortunately I only speak English so translations are out.

On my list of stuff to do is write a Get Involved page that clear lists how people can get started in the project, because I am being asked this more frequently and I don’t have a coherent reply :slight_smile: So when I’ve done that I’ll point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Is a GTK3 PPA possible for adventurous users?

1 Like

This looks to be a good spot to keep tabs on ubuntu mate 1.10

Thanks

Hello,
i’ve seen on this page http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2856 that linux mint will have Mate 1.10 in Version 17.2, which bases on Ubuntu 14.04.2. Maybe these packages cold be used for back porting Mate 1.10 to Ubuntu 14.04.

1 Like

I’ve been discussing the MATE packaging with the Mint team. Currently Mint use their own MATE packages, separate from Debian/Ubuntu and the reference packages from the MATE team.

I’m working on aligning these packages. What will ship in Mint 17.2 will continue to be their MATE packages and will almost certainly have issues if directly ported to Ubuntu 14.04 for use with Ubuntu MATE.

You mean that you haven’t decided yet if you gonna port it to 14.04 or not?