MATE 1.26 now available for Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS and 21.04 (PPA from Martin Wimpress)

The fix for the starter/launcher-editor has landed in an update today. :slight_smile:

Yep. It kind of freezes like distracted from something else before coming back to normal within seconds.
And also since 1.26 if my HP goes into suspend because unused for a while...it can't get out of there. It doesn't show my password box. I see the desktop image at the bottom of the bacl square. I have to reboot. If I go Suspend, then it wakes up. Weird. Never did that before.

W

Nope - still good here.

Hello everyone

The "fix" mentioned by tkn has been pushed via the software-updater to my system - and it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Still doesn't work for me. It locks up for as long as 2 minutes. Panels disappear top and bottom. Workspaces disappear. Nothing but the power down button to reboot gets me out less I wait til it's done dancing around. Printer also doesn't work any longer.
This is a serious issue for me. I have old hardware but use an SSD and 8Gb ram. Something is scrambled in my system.
Been with UM since 2014LTS. Nearly 8 years. :frowning_face: Lubuntu or Xubuntu possibly?

@spanky : The mentioned fix is not for your stability issue, the mentioned fix is for the missing desktopfile-editor. Don't confuse the two.

Know that MATE 1.26 is still experimental and still in development,
it is not ready for prime time yet.
So if you purge the PPA you will be back on the current version 1.24. You don't have to move to Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

By the time 1.26 is ready, it will be stable.
We (that is: you and I ) are testing the experimental build and by reporting detailed errors on launchpad or github we are actively participating in making it ready for prime time.

You can opt out of this experiment any time you want. Just delete the PPA :slight_smile:

b.t.w : I don't see your bug mentioned on launchpad, you did send a bugreport for your issues, i hope ? Otherwise no one will know and nothing gets fixed.
Here is the link:

1 Like

@spanky : Have you seen this ? :slight_smile:
two old bugreports , one from 2005 and one from 2010 about wnck-applet.
Both unresolved but they give some extra info about what is probably happening.
Seems that any unstable panel-applet can crash wnck-applet.

Thank you. I removed the repository
ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/fresh-mate using the control panel GUI to update and upgrade. and performed a software update and a cold boot. The system monitor app still reports that I have MATE 126. Is there more I need to do?
BTW - I'm using Marco(adaptive compositor) Familiar
Regarding bug reporting; I have reported bugs in the past. It was "politely" suggested that I turn to the MATE community for help and this is where I seek help. The devs are busy .

I may be looking in the wrong place. It might not be the 1.26 Desktop. Other updates installed around the same time may be the cause. Thank you again. The community has always been helpful.

Thank you for the helpful link. I'll look for a guide to report bugs (apparent or real) at that link .I don't know what info is important to the Devs. I imagine that the state of the machine and a brief description of what happened. Is there a crash report log that shows the state of the machine when it crashes, ? I'll poke around the link a bit. I really like UM.

Oops, the right way you should have done it, was to use the command

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/fresh-mate

This means that you have to remove a hell of a lot packages by hand
before installing the 1.24 versions.

I think the best way to continue is:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/fresh-mate
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/fresh-mate
sudo apt-get update

This is what I would do if I would be in your situation.
Maybe not the best of solutions.

see also:

@Utsuro or @Dave_Barnes, would you be so kind to check if I'm not entirely wrong? :slight_smile:
I might overlook something here

1 Like

Yes there is a guide to report bugs, it will show up automatically
when you do your first bugreport.
It also shows you which information is best to provide and how to continue.
What devs normally want is:

1. Version of your OS ( cat /etc/os-release )
  2. Version and name of the problematic package
  3. What the package is supposed to do
  4. What the package is actually doing
  5. What you have tried to mitigate the problem and what you found out yourself.

And sometimes they ask if you would run apport which can send them detailed info

If you really want to know more about what a dev likes to see in a bugreport, you probably should ask a dev yourself. Maybe 'lah' or 'Norbert_X' because they are here on the forum and they have done a lot of impressive and invaluable work on Ubuntu-MATE.

1 Like

thanks what I'm looking for

That appeared to do the trick. It was a nail biter :smiley:
MATE system monitor reports that I now have 1.24.0
If the system hangups are still there, the cause was most likely NOT MATE 1.26 and I'll report it to the community either way.

EDIT:
9-20-21 Been 3hree days since return to MATE 1.24.0 - No system hangups thus far.
Still haven't recovered my printer utility on the menu.
9-29-21 No system hang ups. It was Mate 1.26

Thanks again

1 Like

Good to know:

Since I switched off 'thumbnail preview' from 'windowlist preferences' (window-switcher applet ? ) wnck-applet doesnt't crash anymore.

I switched it off a week ago. No crashes since.

1 Like

Please mark this bug as affecting you in regards to missing Sound section in Control Center.

1 Like

I run Mate 1.26 desktop from ppa on couple of systems, and I observe some issues that it disturbs my work:

1. A lot of windows when they open appear behind, not in front, I do not investigate more if is general or application related... If I run a script the terminal always start behind Caja par example, Bluetooth manager same thing.. . As I use this daily is quite annoying.

2. On the laptop that I use daily... If I leave it not in use for some time, something wired happen with the screen, the back-lit is on, but the image is on display like the back light is of, very hard to see something, so I have to do a restart by pushing the button or blindly open terminal and type command there, I see terminal window on screen but text is so dimed to be read..

1. Shortcut Ctrl+Alt+L does no more function to lock screen...couple of days-weeks ago it works but you have to struggle pushing several times (if I remember correctly with Terminal in focus will do something else - maybe it interfere with some background app, service,. . . )

On point 2 above I disable screen idle shutdown, screen saver and screen lock, all done at exactly 30min...I will see if I encounter isuue no.2 further... But manual screen lock is not working, so I will prefer to shutdown pc.. .

Hallo mircea

"Super" + "L" works on my 1.26 installation, that way you do not have to shut down your computer. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes you are right, thank you.
I look again on Control Center > Keyboard Shortcuts and there is Ctrl+Alt+L
I reassign a new combination, the same Ctrl+Alt+L and this time it works... Interesting... maybe from desktop upgrade what was displayed there is saved in a different place than the keys that work and on upgrade just one of those files changed.

That thing work several days ago because I do same thing without thinking too much on a different PC

Thanks again...

I'm cheering for some updates in the ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/fresh-mate repository :slight_smile:

Looking at the packages page they are all around 6 months old : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/fresh-mate/+packages?batch=75&direction=backwards&memo=75

There were new releases for some components like mate-panel and mate-screensaver that are not yet in the fresh-mate repository .