MATE 1.26 now available for Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS and 21.04 (PPA from Martin Wimpress)

Martin Wimpress posted this tweet earlier today:
Good news! MATE Desktop 1.26 is available for Ubuntu MATE 20.04 🐈 and 21.04 πŸ¦› via the Fresh MATE PPA  πŸ’ͺ

πŸ§‰ https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/fresh-mate

We can now install MATE 1.26 on Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS or Ubuntu MATE 21.04 using this PPA:

TL;DR: if you want MATE 1.26 now on Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS or 21.04 open a terminal and:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/fresh-mate
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

MATE 1.26 changelog:

Thanks a lot, Martin ! :joy:

11 Likes

so nice .... upgrading the desktop on 20.04... on my current laptop

2 Likes

So nice after restart everything look as it should ...
Now we have a better desktop with extra bug fixes and some extra functionality that we might use...
Thanks to all Mate team for the work and also the ppa that allow us to upgrade on current system(s)

4 Likes

Yeah. I know it's a bit more work, but I'm overwhelmingly in favor of having updates like this delivered via PPA rather than snap, given the issues with snapd.

2 Likes

Thanks Utsuro,
I have just upgraded, so far everything is working as before.

• One thing I noticed was the list of applications that launch at startup had been altered by the update - but that was easily fixed of course.

Thanks to the MATE dev team. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Happened to me as well.

Noticed another quirk also: the sound section is missing from the Control Center. It's still accessible from the Brisk Menu though, and with a nice icon (previously had none).

4 Likes

Just upgraded to 1.26 and my VirtualBox is now working! Thank you

3 Likes

Hello again Utsuro

I can confirm the missing "sound" section, which can still be accessed from the brisk menu. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Has the "Autohide" feature of the panels been removed?
With the ppa, all of my panels hide and will not restore.

Nope.
Works as designed here.

2 Likes

Removed ppa with ppa -purge, turned off autohide, then reapplied ppa. Panels show. Turned on autohide. Panels will hide after timeout and not restore. Checked on several systems -- same behavior. Local config problem?

1 Like

Just one small issue:
Creating a Launcher (i.e. desktop-file) or editing desktop-files with Mozo (properties) doesn't work anymore.
Everything else is really beautiful. :slight_smile:

Mozo, if launched from terminal, returns this error if properties clicked:
(mate-desktop-item-edit:41558): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:12:49.883: Unable to load resource for composite template for type 'PanelDItemEditor': De bron op β€˜/org/mate/panel/panel-ditem-editor-dialog.ui’ bestaat niet (=does not exist)
(mate-desktop-item-edit:41558): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:12:49.883: gtk_widget_init_template: assertion 'template != NULL' failed
Segmentatiefout (geheugendump gemaakt)

It seems people are working on it:

and it seems to be fixed upstream:

If we are lucky it might land in an update soon.

EDIT: Yes ! The fix has landed in an update today :smiley: (2021-09-09)

4 Likes

Great! Will there be an automatic update by the update-manager or do I have to do it "by hand"?

Thx

1 Like

Since you have added the repository, updates will be done automatically by the update-manager (or 'apt' if you prefer the commandline)

1 Like

Perfect. Done. Installed. Thx
Buelent

2 Likes

I, also, am not able to create desktop launchers after upgrading to 1.26. Everything else seems to be fine, though.

1 Like

One other thing:

Mate-panel 1.26 seems to crash pretty often on my computer.

It seems already an item on github:

Anyone else experiencing this ?

EDIT (2021-09-18): Since I switched off 'thumbnail preview' from 'windowlist preferences' (window-switcher applet ) wnck-applet doesnt't crash anymore.

1 Like

I'm noting similar behavior. The computer locks up occasionally or waits sometimes up to 30 sec to execute a command.

1 Like

Linux Lenovo-V330 5.11.0-31-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 11 13:19:04 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hey guys...just upgraded to Fresh Mate desktop and although I have literally just done it - I notice nothing different at first glance.
I have Compiz-Fusion and Emerald theme manager running. Will this be overriding any visual changes I might have been expecting? I suspect so...

Thanks.

I have that issue as well