MATE Desktop 1.14 for Ubuntu MATE 16.04 is available now

I seem to remember it’s the default for UM 16.10

It won’t make it to the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 archive, the PPA I’ve published is the only way to get it for 16.04.

1 Like

Works as intended - love it :heart_eyes:

How do you get the "about MATE desktop environment" screen?

It’s in the System menu if you are using the standard Applications Places System menu, or under a System subheading if you’re using a combined menu.

Sorry, I still cant find it with the advanced menu. I can find it in the classic menu.

It only appears in the classic menu as far as I know.

I have a question as I don’t have ubuntu mate installed any longer. If I were to do a fresh install and choose to download updates during installation will that give me Mate 1.14?

My apologies I believe the question I asked below is answered here.

It will not, as Mate 1.14 is only available via a PPA right now.
See this thread for details on how to upgrade to 1.14.

Here’s one way of getting the About Dialog… Hit Alt+F2 then type the following:

mate-about

1 Like

I just tried the PPA and got this:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just kidding, it's working great so far. :wink:

8 Likes

Don’t do that @SantaFe, you’ll give people a heart attack!. :smiley:

4 Likes

Can you guys name some of the features in the release notes that make this update worthwhile?

It seems that most of what makes 1.14 a valuable Mate version is the definite move to GTK3, but since our PPA includes a version built against GTK2+, until we get Ubuntu-Mate 16.10 and GTK3 by default, we are only left with those features in the release notes that improve the current MATE applications. But I can’t find anything worthwhile in there.

At first glance I’m not seeing an advantage in adding this PPA to the 16.04 line. Would you agree?

4 Likes

Hi @marfig,

I installed it and didn’t notice any change whatsoever to be honest!. :smiley:

1 Like

I think the GTK2 build is basically a bugfix release. I didn’t come across any new features either.

1 Like

I with change, Ubuntu Mate starts and better off, now turn off in 5 seconds

2 Likes

Is it possible to add it manually to the advanced menu like in the classic menu?

I think there is an options button on the advanced menu, “Preferences”?. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you . Installing now.