Mate desktop launches infinite file manager windows on startup

I use MATE on Linux Mint at home, and now I’m trying to switch away from KDE on Ubuntu 14.04 system at work. I setup the PPAs and installed mate desktop. However, upon login, what I see is an infinite number of file manager windows launched. And there’s no sign of abating. I’d have to quit immediately before the system goes to a grinding halt.

This isn’t a one-off occurrence - it has happened every time I tried to switch to Mate from KDE. I’d appreciate some help to trouble shoot this problem. I reckon this might be some startup configuration messed up, but I don’t have a clue as to where to look for.

Thanks.

Have you looked into this and that, and that?

I did an initial search. But because I believed it’s got something to do with switching from KDE, all I did was to look up KDE instead, but nothing showed up.

Now, having looked at the posts that you pointed me to, I found that I don’t have antiviral extension installed. For example:

$ dpkg -l | grep caja ii caja 1.8.2-3~trusty1.1 amd64 file manager for the MATE desktop ii caja-common 1.8.2-3~trusty1.1 all file manager for the MATE desktop (common files) ii caja-extensions-common 1.8.0-3~trusty1 all Caja extensions (common files) ii caja-gksu 1.8.0-3~trusty1 amd64 privilege granting extension for caja using gksu ii caja-open-terminal 1.8.0-3~trusty1 amd64 caja plugin for opening terminals in arbitrary local paths ii caja-sendto 1.8.0-3~trusty1 amd64 integrates email clients and Pidgin into the Caja file manager ii libcaja-extension1:amd64 1.8.2-3~trusty1.1 amd64 libraries for caja components
I don’t have Dropbox installed either.

I tried doing killall caja, but often I’m late to get there, and X window system complains maximum clients reached, or an error of some sort. In summary, I haven’t figured out away to get rid of the problem.

If you use Linux Mint mate edition this is the rong forum. There may be some diferances of code between linux mint and ubuntu mate

I’m using Ubuntu 14.04, and installed mate desktop separately.

i see but again that is not ubuntu mate . you need to make a bug report to the ppa that you use!