Mate flat themes

@terzag: Nearly half of themes i tried from gnome-look was not working with compiz.
About the archives - this is the problem of engrampa archiving. I used command

tar -czf MATEmbiance-Flat-Dark.tar.gz MATEmbiance-Flat-Dark

and it worked. So there are usable archives now.

@jaybo: I will try to make this theme eatable for compiz during next weak.

Did they actually include a Metacity part? A lot of themes are made for GNOME 3 and donā€™t include parts that are useless on it. Itā€™s possible that Compiz is more strict with the interpretation of the index.theme: i.e. if a theme declares a non-existent Metacity part, it will work just fine with Marco (I assume itā€™ll just keep the previously selected Metacity theme) but maybe Compiz will just not decorate the windows borders.

Thatā€™s just an hypothesis out of the blue, I guess we would need to check the problematic themes more thoroughly to see what causes the issue.

@terzag @jaybo Ok. The problem is in the name. If it called metacity-theme-1.xml it works, but if metacity-theme-2.xml or metacity-theme-3.xml- does not. I will upload changes a little later. If you want yo can manually rename MATEmbiance-Flat-Dark/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml to metacity-theme-1.xml and compiz will eat it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting to know. Iā€™ve seen themes that had various versions of Metacity but never looked much into this.

just a suggestion, could you change the orange checkboxes to a more MATE color, also the titlebars do not appear to be working unless you are just supposed to use the normal Ambiant MATE theme, otherwise I like it

If you mean window decorations - they work on my side. If you use compiz - just download themes again, i have updated them to work with compiz.
I like the colors of checkboxes. As for me - they fit to the color palette very well. Maybe later i will create a separate theme with mate color.

Iā€™m not using compiz, and they still do not seem to be working

@Bernie - are you using Marco? I just noticed that the metacity folder has a metacity-2 xml file in it, which shouldnā€™t be supported in Marco (unless you build it yourself from master, I just added support up to metacity themes v3.6 a few weeks ago). The Marco in 18.04 should only support metacity v1 themes, so this may be a bit confusing.

@brokoli - which version of Marco are you testing this on? Have you tried using metacity v1 for your theme file? I can give this theme a try on Monday once Iā€™m back in the office, but Iā€™m running my own Marco build with a different theme versionā€¦

I have renamed them already to metacity-1.
I have default Marco on 18.04 install.

Iā€™m running Marco on 18.04 fully updated, I can check exact version if need
be

So I tried the latest version, it works, but I get the following error:

Other themes only show one Suru-mate-dark++

How did you install Suru-mate-dark++? It shouldnā€™t appear twice, so I suspect that there are two versions (one in /usr/share/icons and one in ~/.local/share/icons or ~/.icons) or two different themes (with different dirs) that have the same name declared in their index file.

./icons is empty
~/.local/share/icons only has hicolor

Now a few days ago I did mess up having Suru-mate-dark++ under both /usr/share/icons & /usr/share/themes. But I have cleaned that up and double checked prior to my last post. I will keep searching. I did make a back up prior to the numerous theme tweaks with an anticipation of restoring after my trial and error theme changing.

Also, slightly off topic, I like the Suru-mate-dark++ icon theme with the exception of a few items, primarily in the panels and a few icons. Is there any suggestions how to make these tweaks. For example, the firefox icon is grey, I would like to keep the orange. I like the network icon & animation form the Ubuntu mono dark. Just trying to get the best from both?

I am using metacity 1 or at least that is what the theme file has in it

1)Try to rename icon theme folder to Suru-mate-dark++.
2) If you do not want monochrome apps small icons - delete them from Suru-mate-dark++/apps/16

1 Like

Does anybody else have problems with Metacity/Compiz decorations?

@Bernie, can you attach screenshot?

what are you wanting a screenshot of

Ok. I get what was wrong. When i renamed metacity theme xml file to be eatable by compiz it stoped to be eatable by metacity. And i did not get mistakes because it was cached on my side somehow, but when i tried to change window decorations and go back to the one from this theme - i could not do it. We need two files metacity-theme-1.xml and metacity-theme-2.xml with the same content. You could do it manually if you do not want to wait until i up;oad fixed version.

I restored my system, it seems the suru icon set was always there. My error discussed in post 31 is now gone. But MATEembience-Flat-Dark appears with a question mark. See below:

@jaybo, @Bernie, All errors with metacity should be fixed now.

1 Like