Mate panel does not run after boot

I have had this issue since forever, there are a couple other issues like this around but non that quite match the symptoms I encounter when this happens. After boot, 1/3 times only the wallpaper is shown and nothing else for a good minute or so. No desktop icons, no dock, no panel. After a while, all of the sudden something causes the dock and the icons to pop up. But, not the panel. I have to run the panel manually with mate-panel & and then disown.

Note that during the nothing is visible period, I am able to CTRL-ALT-t to get the terminal.

Today I tried mate-panel --replace & instead and got these errors.

prompt:~$ mate-panel --replace
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface “com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar” on object at path /com/canonical/AppMenu/Registrar
^C
prompt:~$ mate-panel --replace &
[1] 3570
prompt:~$ disown
prompt:~$ 
(mate-panel:3570): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 21:55:32.224: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:2735: instance '0x5645fc4f28f0' has no handler with id '20692'

Someone please help! I can't always wait for my computer to take a minute after boot.

Hi :slight_smile: I would save my configuration inside mate tweak, choose a other one, test with a reboot and next customize it again as you want. You can find it here :

Note sure if I entirely understood the tail of your instructions. I saved my panel in the tweaks and changed it to some other style. Logged out and back in a couple times to check if the issue occurs and when it did not, I changed back to my saved panel. After that, I again logged out and back in and the issue did not occur.

However, each time I switched the menu, I got a little applet icon down in the dock and when I clicked on it, it minimised the panel. I had to mate-panel --replace & and disown again to get rid of it from the dock.

dk

PS: What theme are you using? Care to share a link please?

I don't understand if your issue is solved now hahah xD It is better now ?

Sure :slight_smile:
I use Icy Dark and maia as icons :slight_smile:

I wouldn't know if the issue is completely fixed until a couple weeks of restart and use since even before it did not occur deterministically.

Where may I find that theme? Perhaps, share a link? Or, tell me how to install it using apt?

Here you are :slight_smile:

The problem is not resolved. Today when I turned on my computer everything (desktop icons, panel and dock) were gone. Couple minutes later, the dock and the desktop icons came back but the panel did not. I ran mate-panel --replace & which gave the usual,

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface “com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar” on object at path /com/canonical/AppMenu/Registrar

Help!

Try running dconf reset -f / && reboot.
Warning, this resets ALL default configurations for all software

Well, I don't quite wanna nuke all configs on my system...

Well,
Just checked inside dconf-editor and saw that my side this path do not exist too. Can you remove appmenu from this pannel, reboot and add it again ?

Or, even add a different one making same work ?

Like I said before, the issue is not deterministic. It sometimes happens and sometimes not. You're suggesting that the issue is with the indicator applet? I don't use the Indicator Applet Complete because I don't want a clock in it.

I am not sure how to try what you have suggested because that might require going with the wrong applet till I observe/not observe this issue again.

Could you explain that error message a bit more to me?

Well, Im not in front of your machine xD

If I got something similar, i would remove whole panel and create one new and configure it again :slight_smile:
Next, if still not helping, I would create a new user and migrate my data to the new profile.

Okay so the issue started to appear more frequently and I have narrowed it down to the indicator applets, both including the complete one. Whenever I add them to the panel, I get,

Clicking on reload then makes the applet come back. This now happens each time I boot the system.

It can be caused by a software that starts automatically at boot and behave in a way that the applet do not like it.
I got something like this with copyq and Global AppMenu - random crashes and this same error message.
Can you check what software is running on logon/at the moment you start have the issue ?

I took a peek at start-up applications and really the only thing that had an icon in the applet was dropbox. I disabled it and it still crashed. Then I disabled almost everything except those that probably kick off the system and it still crashes at start up. It does make a file in /var/crash which looks like this,

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
CurrentDesktop: MATE
Date: Sat Mar 27 01:15:08 2021
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/mate-indicator-applet/mate-indicator-applet
ExecutableTimestamp: 1581587782
ProcCmdline: /usr/lib/mate-indicator-applet/mate-indicator-applet
ProcCwd: /home/tsfn
ProcEnviron:
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
 LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
 LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
 LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8

The rest of it is just binary core dump. What in the world is going on with this ...

Okay I was able to fix this by reading this bug report,

For MATE:
gsettings set org.mate.interface gtk-shell-shows-app-menu true
gsettings set org.mate.interface gtk-shell-shows-menubar true

However this painful indicator applet crash is still happening.

This bug report is for vala global appmenu - this applet :
and is exactly the issue I was running into with copyq, but your error indicates issue with indicator-applet and not vala-global-appmenu.

Can you try doing it this way, go to startup applications, identify all startup things and uncheck all not required ones like they done here :

Let's hope :slight_smile: