"mate-power-manager" crashing at login in Ubuntu MATE 18.04.3

Hi, everyone!

I'm running Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS (64-bit) - "18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver)" - on a Laptop / Notebook. It has all the Software Updates (Operating System Updates) installed, according to the "Software Updater" (" The software on this computer is up to date. ").

A few days ago, I had to change from the "Familiar" Panel Layout to the "Traditional" one, in this computer, due to some "Brisk menu" crashes. That change apparently solved the problem with the "Brisk menu" crashes, but today (8 Dec 2019) I started having a crash dialog related to "mate-power-manager" after I log in my computer with my local user account.

The version of the component/package is "mate-power-manager 1.20.1-2ubuntu1"

My kernel is 5.0.0-37

The error message (Title) present in the crash dialog window is the following:

Title: mate-power-manager crashed with signal 7 in elf_machine_rela_relative()

In case it is relevant, the "XsessionErrors" present in the crash dialog window are as follows:

XsessionErrors:
mate-session[1908]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
(process:2461): indicator-sound-WARNING **: 22:17:46.484: volume-control-pulse.vala:744: Unable to connect to dbus server at 'unix:path=/run/user/1000/pulse/dbus-socket': Could not connect: No such file or directory
(process:2461): indicator-sound-WARNING **: 22:17:46.601: accounts-service-access.vala:218: unable to sync volume 0,317749 to AccountsService: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: No such interface 'com.ubuntu.AccountsService.Sound'
(mate-panel:2360): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 22:17:47.488: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:17:47.689: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:17:48.763: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:17:48.763: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:17:48.828: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:17:48.898: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:17:48.898: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(nm-applet:2435): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:17:48.990: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent

Is anyone else here experiencing the same issue?

OK, answered my own query...see below...

I have routinely seen crash report messages in not less than 5 desktop PCs specifying mate-power-manager as their causes.

Given that power management is really not a concern for any of these PCs, will someone please tell me if I can just remove mate-power-manager via Synaptic without any bad affects on these PCs ??

Also, if such a tool MUST be there - I have seen mention of xfce4-power-manager as well as a similar one for Gnome - would any of these likely replace mate-power-manager with less problems ??

Thanks for any helpful replies !!

Made hidden autostart items visible & stopped it from starting that nasty thing anymore;
Added XFCE4-power-manager;
Stopped it from doing anything.
Done.
No more error message at startup.

1 Like

Thanks. You've given me a few ideas to check!

I've had some issues with Brisk Menu as well. It happens at power on. Then, I logoff and logon again and Brisk is fine.

It's not the end of the world for me personally, but, it gives me a little reluctance to install Ubuntu MATE on other people's computers.

Often I'm "the Linux guy" that folks come to for Linux installs and so I always try to find fixes to things that I know about ahead of time so that somewhat less technical users won't have to deal with them...my experience being that these little issues drive new users crazy, even if they don't bother me all that much!

Cheers!

2 Likes