Mate-screensaver black screen

I would like some help with the mate-screensaver. I have an issue with it not starting Ctrl+Alt+L = black screen. I have been trying to figure out where the command "mate-screensaver --no-daemon" is run. It seems to be started at login process, but I am not finding it in the usual locations for the startup of applications.

I have found that I need to kill this process and run "mate-screensaver". Afterward, the screensaver works as normal.

I have looked at every place I can think of and found as a suggestion on-line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Until you get a better reply lets eliminate duplicated keyboard combinations please?

Menu -> Preferences -> kb shortcuts

Imgur

so is it still C + A + l ?

Next, scroll thru all combos and make sure you have no duplicates

Next how many screensaver apps have you installed?

show results of

dpkg -l | grep saver

Next do a full reboot and do nothing about closing anything
or deleting anything.....unless you want mate-screensaver and have accidently installed another app.....

now run and post the results to this command.....as C + A + l works for me
but I am on 19.04...not sure if you will see the same result but I include it

/usr/bin/mate-screensaver

(my result)
** (mate-screensaver:4305): WARNING **: 10:20:08.284: screensaver already running in this session

Thanks Aus9. I got it working. I purged all screensaver apps & libs. I then reinstalled just mate-screensaver. I must have changed the app in the past and messed something up.

Curiously though I can use Mod+L or Alt+Ctrl+L. Mod+L seems to be hard coded and I can not change it.

Thanks for putting me on the right track. It was driving me up a wall.

OK so I thought the issue was fixed, but It returned after a reboot. I was wrong. I now think it is a bug that's been around since 2016.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mate-screensaver/+bug/1599331

I did a fresh install of 19.04 just to make sure, and sure enough there are 2 keybindings for locking the computer <Alt+Ctrl+l> and <Mod+l>. Both result in a black screen and no Screensaver. If I kill the "Mate-screensave --no-daemon" and restart with "mate-screensaver", I get the screensaver to work, but only untill the next reboot.

OK, I did more testing and found the screensaver behavior changes based on being Plugged into the AC or not. I have never come across a screensaver that attempts to save power by changing its behavior.

So not a bug its a feature. lol Where have I heard that before.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default behavior for the on battery launch of the screensaver?

Anyhow, I hope this help someone else who runs into this.

there are 2 keybindings

Yikes there are too! But mod (windows logo) is not a setting I can see in the GUI
Thanks for reporting that one

I am on a tower and I have looked at my power management options and none seem relevant.

Now if you are interested, for your laptop, you can make a init type script that can automate what ever you are doing
try.....its not a screensaver example but I am sure you will catch on quickly

if you are struggling....I or others might be able to help
copy and paste your manual commands so we can duplicate your efforts

cheers