Mate Weather Applet Radar Map not working

The applet is constantly spewing errors into syslog and showing a blank window for radar.

org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[10520]: (mateweather-applet:10714): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'height >= -1' failed org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[10520]: Unrecognized image file format org.mate.panel.applet.MateWeatherAppletFactory[10520]: (mateweather-applet:10714): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_loader_write: assertion 'priv->closed == FALSE' failed

Any idea what’s going on?

1 Like

Same here no radar map and errors, looking for a answer myself I want the radar map back.

An alternative suggestion for you gents:

Also, does this fit the bill?:

http://www.weewx.com/

I have never used it so I have no idea how good it is?. :smiley:

Thanks wolfman, but I’m not looking for a replacement - I’m interested in getting the bugs ironed out!

2 Likes

@quonsar Please read the following post:
Guide on posting

Please state in your original post which version of Ubuntu MATE you are using.

As I am not using this applet please post a screenshot of your preferences.

Ubuntu Mate 16.04. I can take a screenshot this evening but there is nothing special about the preferences, radar map enable is checked, custom map is not checked. Location is set correctly and updates with correct information.

It was not that I thought there was an error in your preferences, I just wanted to replicate your settings so I could check the error. But, there is already a bug reported for this:

2 Likes

Thank you wizd3m! I should have checked.

Thought I’d add I’m in the US and the radar isn’t working.It happened a few weeks ago then started working again.I also use Fedora Mate and it’s not working there either.Here I think it links to the weather channel and I’m wondering if it’s something on there end.I like the weather app hope it comes back up soon or I’ll have to look at other options.

I just added info to the existing bug. The online data seems to be the problem. No built-in location selections work on U-M 16.04 or 14.04 now. Yet, my custom URL for a radar map works just fine.

Anyone interested, I dig out the URL at: https://www.wunderground.com/ and use it as a custom in this applet.

1 Like

don’t know what happened havn’t changed anything but radar is back up working again so whatever it was seems to be fixed

lol, here too! wonder if it was updated?

For fun, I wireshark captured the non-working URL the applet was trying:

Yep, it's back.

Here's what worked for me:

I used weather.com's doppler radar for this. Find the radar you want displayed in your panel's weather applet and right click on the image, then select 'Copy image Address' (just make sure it's current)
Paste that selection into the 'Address' field underneath the 'Enable Radar' field in the weather applet preferences.