May I after having installed Linux 16.04 mate delete a partition using a live CD utility not too perfect booting my installed version of 16.04 mate?

I thank you in advanced. I am a new user Linux and successfully installed Ubuntu mate 16.04 an SDA 6 and in my effort to find a good livecd utility backup of data on SD S6 I found and used clonezilla which I clone onto SD A9 after which it now boots from ASDA 9. If I using a live CD utility CD-ROM may I delete ASDA 6 still allowing successful boot from ASDA 9? I am concerned if I delete SDA 6 again my original install partition that somehow this might be in involved is the current boot process. My idea is to delete ASDA 6 using live CD Utility and recreate this partition inside Ubuntu mate. Can anyone give me their technical opinion about this and if I will create some problems doing this procedure question??? I do not want to lose my existing working Ubuntu mate installation. I really really really thank any true knowledgeable person and this issue!!!

HI @raritz121,

as long as you are sure that your boot-loader is on /sda9 and not on /sda6, you should be able to delete it (/sda6) no problem!.

If you have problems with the boot-loader afterwards, you the Ubuntu Mate live Cd and see “Dual Booters” in Welcome!:

See also:

Clonezilla will create a new partition with the same UUID as the copied partition. That is the reason that you now boot into sda9, it has the same UUID as sda6. You should immediately change the UUID of the clone right after creating it next time by using Gparted on a live CD/USB.

Highlight the cloned partition (it won’t be mounted as you aren’t using it) and check the new UUID option. Apply the request for a new UUID, reboot and you will once again boot into your original partition, sda6.

1 Like