Menu-View-Extra Pane (F3), Panes Cross Talk

2020 Tue 10Mar 17:04 EST
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS 64-bit, Kernal Linux 5.3.0-40-generic x86_64,
MATE 1.20.1;

File Manager Caja v1.20.2 seems to suffer a bug I never suffered in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Nautilus 3.4 and yet Caja seems to be a fork of Nautilus somehow, not the same exactly. So-

When I open Menu-View-Extra Pane(F3), load a different directory in each pane, all seems fine until jumping from one pane to the other via headers is attempted.

After working with one pane, click on the opposite panes directory header and select different directories, watch the opposite pane change content. There is a cross control there that must be wrong I think.

The desired pane must somehow be deliberately selected before use, obviously, but not by the header. I expected to be able to change panes by simply selecting the opposing panes header - pick a directory from the header there. I remember it working that way in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, no problem, a comfortable interface. This is a clumsy issue I stumble with often now.

Correct me otherwise, please. I expect those pane headers to only control the pane below it. Not effect the opposite pane's display.

Is this a bug?, should I file a bug report? Or how must I learn to switch panes and suffer with it?
-- The Best, M.RossARR

That would be this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1797550
In 20.04 it seems to work properly, btw.

Thanks. I will not file another bug report then.
Are bugs fixed in older versions llke 18.04 via updates? , or is upgrade to 20.04 the only solution? I realize 20.04 is not truly issued yet and needs a few months to stabilize after that.

There is no updates for 18.04 that fix this. It is possible that one of the inbetween-versions 18.10, 19.04 or 19.10 already includes a fix, but since 20.04 is due to be released next month, I'd probably wait for that.

So why even file a bug report if that gets nothing fixed. I suffer 2 more
problems with Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS, the editor Pluma and Synaptic are buggy
it seems. Time to dump Ubuntu.

It seems a rolling release distribution would be more to your liking.
The drawback with Ubuntu's release model is while it does provide more stability, often bugs in LTS versions do not get backports and are fixed only on interim versions.