Minecraft will not load a world on rpi

I have managed to run Minecraft Java Edition/PC Edtion on my raspberry pi with Ubuntu mate thanks to jdonald and terzag. Then when I go to make a single player world it takes a little bit. After a few minutes, it starts to lag and eventually crash and it has not even got into the world. Then when I got Minecraft on raspbian it loaded the world fine with a few lags. I don’t know if Ubuntu mate needs more ram and raspbian does not because that would explain why it won’t load a world.

Three things come to mind:

1. You played Minecraft Pi Edition earlier which implies you configured the legacy driver. Did you remember to reenable the full OpenGL driver with KMS before switching back to Java Edition? Run sudo raspi-config and reboot, then check your framerate with glxgears
  2. You could actually be running out of memory depending on the size of the world and other stuff running. Run htop while loading to check.
  3. Full OpenGL might not be fully supported on Ubuntu MATE to begin with because it uses an older kernel (4.4). Unfortunately I can’t test this now because I’m using the 64-bit kernel, but let us know what happens after you’ve tried the above.

I got it to load a world. The problem was that when I load a world I always put it full screen. I tried it without the full screen and it loaded. It is probably the same thing with Minecraft pi when it only does the small screen and can’t go full screen. If you have any tweaks to make my RPI faster It would be very appreciated. :smile:

1 Like