Minimum Hardware requirements

Hi,

I want to install Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS on my 32-Bit Computer. Currently I have Windows XP installed. It’s very slow so I want to switch to Linux. But the minimum requirement for Ram is 1 GB and I have only 768 MB. Will it work?
The other minimum requirements are okay(Prozessor, Space…).

Hey there,

It might work, however the system would probably take up most of the RAM by itself, not leaving much room for applications like a web browser to run. It’d probably be best to upgrade the RAM. 2 GB is a good amount to try, but if you can’t upgrade the RAM you’d probably have better luck with an ubuntu variant with a less resource heavy desktop, like lubuntu (LXDE) or xubuntu (XFCE)

Okay thanks.

And Swap?? I could make about 4 GB of Swap space.

SWAP is a portion of your hard drive designed to behave like RAM. However, it’s still on your hard drive which means time to access it is way slower than to access actual RAM (by several orders of magnitude). When you start to swap, your system will keep functioning but it will have all the efficiency of a snail under anesthesia.

1 Like

Minimum hardware requirements are on the website and state 1GB RAM as the minimum requirement.