Missing dependencies in Software Boutique

Installed youtube downloader on my wife’s computer and it didn’t work. It worked fine on my computer.

Launching it from a command prompt I got the error “No wx module”. The wx libraries are installed, then I realized my system has a full set of development tools for python so I installed the WX python modules and now its working fine on her system.

The solution was also in this thread:

which I found when starting this thread. In terms of an installation in the Software Boutique not working I think it needs to be fixed as the Boutique is supposed to be for beginners and “well curated”.

Thanks, it’s already been fixed for quite a while, but unfortunately we’ve forgotten to push out a release.

I’ll prod @Wimpy to issue an update ASAP!

2 Likes

I also had this problem. I used a ‘fix’ suggested in a previous post which updated youtube-dl via a ppa but failed to fix the gui version which is good in the sense that the standard version of youtube-dl quickly goes out of date and now because of the ppa will update to the newest version more quickly.

(ppa being: ppa.launchpad.net/nilarimogard/webupd8/ubuntu )

I don’t know if Wimpy has done the update or if subsequent updates came from this repo, i.e., ones relating to youtube-dl-gui or from the main repo but they had no effect on the gui version.

If youtube-dl-gui is started from the terminal it gives this response:

No module named wx

This (wx) is not present in my kernel (4.4.0-36-generic). Do I need to upgrade my kernel?

Doing a dist-upgrade my have other, unwanted, effects. Running a simulation saw things like elements of Unity lurking in the wings waiting to pounce.

Please advise.

Use synaptic and search for wx and install the wx python modules. The GUI is a Python program written using what used to be called WX Windows.

Once you install the WX python modules the GUI should then work, they are not kernel modules.

I looked in synaptic for ‘python wx’ and got quite few results but not sure if they are all relevant. Here is a similar search with apt-cache:

~$ apt-cache search python-wx
python-wxgtk-media3.0 - Python interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wx.media)
python-wxgtk3.0 - Python interface to the wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit
python-wxmpl - Painless matplotlib embedding in wxPython
python-wxtools - Tools from the wxPython distribution
python-wxversion - API for selecting the wxPython version to use
python-wxgtk3.0-dev - Development files for wxPython
python-wxgtk2.8 - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython binding)
python-wxgtk2.8-dbg - wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (wxPython binding, debug version)

I might be missing something here but I don’t see any labeled as modules or even libraries. I do see the need to choose the right python version. Would one key python package pull in the rest of the dependencies where youtube-dl-gui did not?

(Thanks for the prompt reply, wally333)

heathrobinson

Oops,
now have read the thread you highlighted above wally333. I followed these instructions and now youtube-dlg works but not, it seems, youtube-gui unless they are the same thing. I did update it as per instructions. I also seem to have an awful lot of python installed.

Heathrobinson.

Doesn’t matter what Python you have installed if what its looking to use is not there.

Installing these fixed it for my wife’s computer:
python-wxgtk-media3.0
python-wxgtk3.0
python-wxgtk2.8

I didn’t bother to try an figure out if it used Python 2.8 or 3.0, it won’t hurt anything to install everything on your list.

I had missed the “python-wxgtk-media3.0” so I installed that too. Exactly how much python you need to make it work I’m still not sure about but at least it does now work!
Probably the biggest advantage of this exercise is that I now get an updateble youtube-dl which is what I was looking for before the shinny gui thing caught my eye.

Heathrobinson.

I’ve just uploaded fixed packages to the PPA :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s related, but Minecraft won’t install either. It fails when installed via the Software Boutique, even though I have the latest updates.

Which I fixed just before this one :wink:

Yay! Thanks so much.