Missing Maximize/Minimize/Close icons all windows

don’t worry about it mate. I have done the vid and am just uploading to youtube. Will be up on here in a jiffy…:slight_smile:

Don’t worry about feeling obliged to do it just cos I posted a vid either. If you want to do it, do it. If not, then it is here for anyone else who might want to.

1 Like

Hey steve
you are a great man and santa will bestow many blessings on you and yours :slight_smile:

I will do the procedure and report back, my wife is watching the tv right now and the machine is hooked to it, if I mess with it she will probably give me a “gift” in the happy sacks

thanks again this stuff really helps and increases my knowledge and, hopefully, decreases the amount of times I bug you good folks
theakson

Here is the vid showing how to do it. Ignore the screen lag. that is not my system. It is “RecordMyDesktop” application playing up. I think I need to drop the frame grab rate.

1 Like

also, it will be fine with updates

NOW THAT IS REALLY HELPFUL!!!
I thank you for doing that and making it so clear. When Santa gets here we will make him turn around and revisit the Cook household and delivered a fresh batch of frame grabs, my treat :slight_smile: seriously though Steve this is really helpful to me and I suspect others.

thanks again
theakson

1 Like

You’re welcome Theakston

I see you spotted the missing T in theakson :slight_smile: thank Steve I have done the mods and so far nothing has caught fire. This has made my day truly, I am so pleased that I found the mate community and hope one day to help contribute.

have an excellent xmas and a happy new year. You have MANY MANY brownie points in the theaks(T)on household

theakson

Hey Steve
sorry to report I spoke too soon. The menu icons are missing again and when I stream movies the frame jag is back. I followed the instructions to the letter, how could I not with such an awesome video, but the problems remain. I’ll leave it the way it is and see if it keeps happening. thanks so much for your support and I learnt how to add things to the startup which is AWESOME
thanks again
theakson

That's disappointing to hear Theakson. Sorry to hear that. Just check the following:

Is Mate Tweak set to Marco without compositing enabled?

Is Compton properly installed? You can check this by going back to a terminal and typing:

sudo apt-get install compton

If it is already installed, you will get a message along the lines of: "compton is already the newest version". If not, install again.

Is the compton command in the startup applications list?

If it is, then fine. If not, or if it is put in incorrectly, amend and/or re-apply

If all of the above is in place and it is still not working, then go to a terminal and type the following:

compton -c -m 0.8

Then minimise the terminal (don't exit it) and see if Compton is working (lack of screen tearing etc). If it is, report back here and I will tell you how to proceed to make it permanent.

one other thing, are you using the propriety driver or the linux generic one? GPU based compositing only works properly I have found with the propriety driver

He is still in the process of sorting his GPU in another thread!:

thanks Steve and as Wolfman says I am still sorting out my GPU which I am sure will make you solution work.

go off and have a well earned xmas break and thanks again for being a genuinely good guy

Merry Xmas Theakson. See you on the other side…:slight_smile:

I GET IT!!! no need to rub it in :slight_smile: incidently I was not bundling just pointing out the many many many ways that noobs like me can get a major rogering and, in my defense, I did say I wasn’t looking for solutions in that thread but TRUST ME!!! I get it :slight_smile:

have an excellent easter ( fed up of wishing everyone a happy…)

I “think” I am using the linux generic but can’t be sure :slight_smile:

I am using the AMD ATI Radeon R7 200 GPU and am using the following driver:

Code:
inxi -b

Enter that in terminal and it will give all info on your system.

or install System Profiler And Benchmark. This is a bit like Microsoft's Hardware tab.

You can install it from the Software Center or from a terminal by typing:

sudo apt-get install hardinfo

wow i like the look of the hardinfo app nice tip thanks Steve!
have a really excellent xmas and look for many many good wishes headed out from Theakson household as we toast all of you with single malts
thanks again
theakson

@stevecook172001 Thanks for helping out @theakson, fantastic to see this in our community :santa: