More Tweaks Needed for Touch Tablet

It’s time to get rid of windows10 on my samsung x64 tablet.

I’ve messed around briefly with system settings via the gui in the default install and i’ll need to do more fine grained tweeking to make it usable.

Here are some examples of things I need to be able to do.

1. Change the default desktop icon size and corresponding text size.
  2. Change window title bar icon sizes (min, max close)
  3. Change the panel icon and text size (can change the panel size but not each icons size nor corresponding text size)
  4. Enable/disable on screen keyboard and make it context sensitive.
  5. Change open tasks so they don’t stack vertically in the panel (yea less room but bigger for big fingers)
  6. Hide open task’s text when task area is full. (just show icon with hover details)
  7. Add gestures (I see a tip/trick post for this)

In general if I knew what window manager is used under the hood and where to look to tweek various settings of the components that are used within it beyond what is available in some gui that would be helpful.

Further If anyone has set up mate perfectly for use on a x64 tablet like mine and has some tips and tricks please share.

Once I know how to do all this I’ll make a post in the tips/tricks section for anyone wishing to set up mate perfectly on a tablet

[quote=“dkebler, post:1, topic:13364”]In general if I knew what window manager is used under the hood and where to look to tweek various settings of the components that are used within it beyond what is available in some gui that would be helpful.[/quote]See Control Center -> MATE Tweak -> Windows for a dropdown that lists all available window managers in Ubuntu MATE. I’m confident that, for example, Compiz (assuming it’ll run on your tablet) will allow you to configure to meet whatever needs you have. Since it is exceedingly configurable after you install compizconfig-settings-manager

1 Like
  1. Caja does not haveave a option to have diffirent icon sizes for desktop and browser view .
    You can change all icon sizes of caja as :
    Caja->Edit->Preferences. There at Icon view section change Default zoom level .
  2. The wm name is Marco .
    Marco scales the icon to the decoration layout size. You wan’t to change the font.
    In order to change the font to a smaller one . To do that :
    Go to mate-appearance-properties go to fonts tab . Then change the size of Window title font .
  3. Generaly the icon size scales to panel size .
    Panel does not use seperate fonts than other Gtk Widgets .
    In order to change text size :
    Go to mate-appearance-properties->fonts->Interface font.
    4.For the keyboard you may wan’t to use onboard .
  4. You could use the Dock applet . Or install mate-netbook and use mate-window-picker applet.
    6.I don’t think there is applet that does that . But window-picker applet shows them on hover.
    7.You should see easystroke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CagAEgXAAzA
1 Like

I tried compbiz awhile back. It’s last release is 2012 which is too old. Someone has “reloaded” it but one will have to compile it as I can find no ppa for it. https://github.com/compiz-reloaded/compiz. Haven’t had a chance to compile

@dkebler Compiz is actively maintained . It is maintained by a small team at Canonical . The last Compiz release is not at 2012 . There is a compiz reloaded ppa for xenial at launchpad .