Mouse is misbehaving

I have done dozens of installs, and I regularly change the BIOS settings. This is always the first thing I do and never had any problems. I need to do this so I can change the boot order and use the installer on dvd.

I have a favorite wireless mouse...a Technet model M002 that I've been using for years. It has always performed flawlessly and is amazing on battery use. I just got another PC, and went ahead with my normal routine (changing values in the BIOS).

When I enter the BIOS settings it looks normal, but I can only move the mouse up and down (vertical), no side to side at all. Not sure if I can edit at all , I just exited (I was afraid to try it!).

Only this one mouse does this and only on this one PC.

This may be a question for the BIOS maker?... I'm just wondering if anyone ever saw this unusual mouse behavior? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Welcome to the community!!!

That's a new one on me. Question though, is it a Bluetooth mouse or does it work with a dongle?

Thanks for your reply...there's a dongle.

Does it only do it in the BIOS or does it behave the way you're describing in Linux as well?

BIOS only, this mouse only, one PC only

Is this your only PC with UEFI instead of standard BIOS ?

Thanks for your reply.
Not sure...it looks like standard BIOS and the PC is 11 years old...did they put UEFI in that long ago? and even if it was, why would just this one mouse act that way? all the other mouse(s) act normally.

ah, 11 years old, yes UEFI was already on the market in 2010 ( since 2005 actually) but not a hot item. Business computers were the first to get it.
No, it is not important at the moment. Your computer is pretty old, that is good info.

It could be that the mouse is not quite conforming to standards.
The manufacturer declares:

System Requirements
• Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1, Win10
Note: The scroll wheel only works under the operating systems listed
above. If you use the mouse under a different operating system, the
mouse may either not work or lose its enhanced features.

It is not unthinkable that, for this very reason, exactly this BIOS with exactly this mouse don't work that well together. Is this your oldest computer ?

Another possibility is that since this mouse is a Hi DPI model (4800 DPI -6 Adjustment Levels) it could be that your motherboard/BIOS doesn't like that.
You could try to change the DPI setting:

DPI Switch
The mouse supports five levels DPI:
800/1200/1600/2000/2400DPI. The default DPI
is 1200.
Press the DPI button, DPI will raise to 1600, LED
indicator will flash three times. Press the DPI
button for each time, the DPI will raise to next level,
and the DPI LED light will flash one more time

If it is still not working you could try to change the Report rate

Report Rate exchange
The M002 supports two report rate:125Hz, 250Hz(Default). Press right
button and middle button(scroll wheel) simultaneously for 3 seconds to
exchange report rate. LED indicator would flash 5 times slowly for
125Hz, and flash 5 times quickly for 250Hz.

Try first both DPI and report rate at the lowest setting.

1 Like

TKN, thank you for your reply.

"System Requirements • Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1, Win10"

I hope you're not implying the mouse will only work in Windows? I'm sorry, but I don't think mouse(s) really cares about the OS (unless possibly an Apple mouse?)...I don't see how that would make a difference. It has never made a difference before, although there's always a first time.

"It is not unthinkable that, for this very reason, exactly this BIOS with exactly this mouse don't work that well together. Is this your oldest computer ?"

Oldest? not even close...I collect old computers...but of the ones I use, I have a Dell Optiplex 755, which I think is older, and the mouse works in BIOS with it.

"DPI Switch...Report Rate exchange"
This mouse works perfectly every time on every computer I have ever tried it on, except for this one. I'm not willing to change mouse settings, just for this one PC, when it's easier to use a different mouse if I need to go into BIOS, which is only during initial setup.

Please don't misunderstand, I do appreciate the effort you put into your suggestions.

I hope you're not implying the mouse will only work in Windows? I'm sorry, but I don't think mouse(s) really cares about the OS (unless possibly an Apple mouse?)...I don't see how that would make a difference. It has never made a difference before, although there's always a first time.

No , I'm implying that the mouse could be a bit more nitpicky on communication-protocol or timing while the conformation to protocol or timing of your BIOS build in driver could be a bit off. Everything points at the BIOS to be the weakest link. This could result in strange behaviour. Your other mice might be a bit more forgiving for out of spec behaviour of the motherboard.

Thank you...That's a valid thought.

Maybe you've tried this, but I didn't see it scanning the thread. Did you try putting the mouse's USB dongle into a different USB port and testing?