Mouse & keyboard button assignment software

As it seems, none of the big peripherals companies create linux-compatible software for managing key assignments (mouse buttons, keyboard macros, dpi, rgb, profiles, etc). I was wondering if there is anything there already created, or if not, how difficult would it be to create one from scratch… anybody has any advice in this regard?

Thank you.

I couldn’t find anything for my mouse, but for Corsair peripherals, I found this very helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfm2D15q4eE&index=2&list=FLwyrgyN20dEirErBuTGkWDw&t=0s

Knowing via a project I contribute to, OpenRazer lacks key mapping functionality, but some users have reported using a Java application called Keyboarding Master which supports some Razer and Belkin hardware. I’m not sure if it can be used for regular keyboard and mice.

macros, dpi, rgb, profiles, etc

At least for Razer hardware, DPI and RGB can be configured with OpenRazer (which just provides the back-end) with other functionality being available via a front-end like Polychromatic (which is what I build)

Both OpenRazer and Polychromatic are available in the :ubuntu_mate: Welcome application under the Getting Started → Drivers section. If there’s more software for other brands that complement hardware features then this would be great to add too.

rgb

On a side note, I recently discovered the Linux 4.20 kernel will standardise support for managing LED colours.

I was wondering if there is anything there already created, or if not, how difficult would it be to create one from scratch… anybody has any advice in this regard?

Depends specifically on the hardware you’re looking for. A project like OpenRazer was created by inspecting and replicating USB packets sent from the Windows’ software for the hardware (in this case, Razer Synapse) using Wireshark… but lacks proper key remapping due to its complexity.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I’ll give that a try, and let you know what I find.

Well this sounds complicated, I found this thread as I have mouse issues, I bought anew mouse and the only problem I have is they designed it with buttons near the top of the mouse and I keep on forgetting they are there, unfortunately this means when I go to pick up my mouse which I often do as I use it on different places, I then find I am clicking the button accidentally which makes it whilst in a web browser at least, give it the command to go back a page, is there a way I can disable this either in the browser of getting better mouse software? Thanks in advance

Mouse in question

Solved the problem, just needed to edit this: