Mouse Pointer Misbehaving after update

Thanks for the quick reply @lah7!

I want compix - not marco. I tried to rollback; but it will remove things that it can’t figure out how to put back. That is what I meant by " I do not really have the time for this in my mix" I am assuming that new releases (and before that point upgrades) will at least have the old compiz (good) package preinstalled w/ a lock to prevent this again? :confused:

I only asked this in case the cursor bug only affects Dells (hardware).

@mated Switching to macro fixed the issue.

1 Like

Done as you mentioned.

Thanks for reporting that. Anyone who has the same exact same problem is encouraged to click on “This bug affects x person, Does this bug affect you?” (when logged in) to raise the :fire: heat of the bug.

1 Like

When do we get the bug fix? I gotta have Compiz for my mini window previews, I can’t do with Marco because I got used to years of window previews with Windows 7. I will just have to put up with the invisible mouse arrow/ big X until you fix it, because I can’t do all that IT stuff. The IT guy at work said that the upgrade is prob not compatible with my stock Dell hardware (or something like that).

We started using Ubuntu Mate at my job, and when MS hijacked my system and put Windows 10 on it, I just switched to Umate. This such a great operating system (even with the stupid mouse - thank you!:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Welcome!

I, too, have a Dell; and by the looks of these threads, so far, I only see Dell mentioned. As a matter of fact, all of the PC’s affected by this bug - over where I am at - are, indeed Dells. @lah7 has stated that he has plenty of Dells, I wonder if he has done this Compiz update with any of them - in order to, maybe, pinpoint the potential Dell- centric hardware involved.

@Buddhika_Jayasingha, thanks for adding your name to the bug report; that is terrific community involvement/support - especially, since you have switched off of Compiz, and seem to be okay with Marco :innocent:! Are you, by chance, experiencing this issue on a Dell?

It’s actually upstream Ubuntu who could review and pull out the update, it’s beyond the powers for @Wimpy, our maintainer.

I informed the bug report responsible for this update, so hopefully non-UM users will see this and realise the “fix” may have caused problems for other distros.

So @Yolanda_Cruz, when you ask when’s the fix, nobody knows. It’s all a voluntary effort, but hopefully soon! :slight_smile:

Just to note again:

• Before: 0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1 :thumbsup:
  • After:    0.9.12.2+15.10.20151202-0ubuntu1 :thumbsdown:

Not all systems are affected. We should start discussing which graphic vendors and drivers everyone affected has. Myself and @anon42388993 are using NVIDIA and their proprietary drivers, which hasn’t been affected. I suspect it may be something with Intel chipsets, so let’s find out.

Dell after all is just a brand, it could come with many different brands of components inside every model they sell. My netbook is too weak for Compiz and the other old one is just collecting dust.

1 Like

Thinking about it, what if this is a MATE desktop issue? Blaming specific hardware over a missing cursor doesn’t match up thinking about it… :astonished:

While I’m using Ubuntu MATE 15.10, I’m actually using MATE 1.12.1 (dev branch) instead of 1.10. @anon42388993 mentioned he is using 16.04, which already has 1.12.x. You can check this version from System → About MATE.

Try upgrading the MATE desktop, only if you’re feeling adventurous, please proceed at your own risk.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/wily-mate
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Afterwards, restart the system so that everything is definitely using the new MATE environment, does this improve things?

1 Like

My wife’s Dell is also not affected

System: Host: janet Kernel: 4.4.0-4-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex 330
Mobo: Dell model: 0KP561 Bios: Dell v: A03 date: 02/19/2008
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E4600 (-MCP-) speed: 2393 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 11.1.1
Network: Card: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
driver: tg3
Drives: HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (9.8% used)
Info: Processes: 175 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 646.5/1989.2MB

1 Like

The good wife is still on MATE 1.10.2.

So I will ask her to do an upgrade to 1.12.1, just as soon as she gets finished with the production oriented duties engaging her presently :smile:. Thus, we may, perhaps, know considerably more about this real soon :wink:!

Thank you, tremendously, @lah7 & @anon42388993 for going the extra mile on this annoyance; although it is not a catastrophic bug, for most, it is still a downer on an otherwise very pleasurable UMATE experience - and I can imagine where a brand new MS Windows refugee, confused and concerned, would go ahead and jump to another distro - ‘first impressions.’

As I have mentioned, incidentally, this is the very first, noticeable glitch, in all of the months which I have stuck with our beloved UMATE :heart_eyes:. Moreover, it is this community that makes the biggest, positive difference :yum:!

1 Like

Ok, I did this, but no change in the behavior of the big X, however there were several errors during the upgrade, I am not really tech-savvy and do not know what most of it means, or if it will offer any insight; but I copied and pasted the error processes from my terminal below, if you want to review them.

Moderator Edit: Moved to pastebin.

Well, @lah7, in reference to @randalicia_lisa’s ineffectual upgrade to MATE 1.12.1, it doesn’t bode well for our upcoming LTS being compatible with the current Compiz - at least insofar as the newly affected computers go :scream:.

Hopefully this debacle will get some needed love from those outside of our immediate realm of power, e.g., the Unity folks, etc. :no_mouth:

@mated I love Ubuntu Mate and my primary OS is Mate. So i do anything for my fav OS to get better. without efforts from good community we can’t stand as a Great OS. so Thank you all for making this community awesome. Its more like a Mate Family.

@lah7 i’m upgrading to MATE 1.12 from 1.10.2 to test.

Also i’m planing to Reinstall Ubuntu MATE and lock upgrade of compiz as you guys mention before as soon as i finish writing my project plan reports. I will need little help on that too.

Also I’m using custom build PC not a DELL one. Only DELL thing i have is my Awesome 27" Monitor.

PC spec

• Asus MB
  • Intel® Pentium® CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz × 2
  • Nvidia GT640
1 Like

That is awasome, @Buddhika_Jayasingha; and don’t forget, when you reinstall, do not do a single single update (not that big one directly after the install - nothing) until the lock is performed.

Do exactly per @lah7’s instructions (above): Put ‘Compiz’ in the search window of Synaptic - if it’s like mine - there will be 7 installed packages; and all of them need to be locked to the previous version, ending in ‘15’ not ’02’.

There will also be an associated package, or two, (that you will not know to select) which Synaptic will neverthess know about - and select - and also lock - for you.

All of these packages will show up, as upgradable, in the terminal, too, until the lock is taken off; so always ignore any prompts to upgrade those. :smile:

Good luck!

At this point, it would have been a good idea to have stopped before trying the next command, to prevent any further errors,. I think your connection went off at one point, and it appears that the upgrade didn’t actually start, only some of the packages were downloaded.

Thanks for trying anyway.

(I moved the text to pastebin to avoid cluttering the thread)

So what I’m thinking…

• Could just be affecting 1.10, since:
  • I’m using MATE 1.12 (on 15.10)
  • 16.04 has 1.12 already, not affected either.
  • 1.10 could’ve been exposed by this compiz update.
  • Could be a bug with GTK.
  • The cursor apparently works in some programs?
  • GTK is responsible for drawing dialogs, windows, cursors, icons, etc for some applications.
  • MATE is based on GTK 2, currently porting to GTK 3.
  • Unity is already GTK 3.

I could be wrong, I haven’t read a line of Compiz code. I actually ran to problems with compiz yesterday over custom GTK 3 themes. Ugh, Compiz! :expressionless:

So, what now?

The workaround best for the moment is to try reverting the update. A full re-installation is not necessary. Here’s a guide I wrote to help:

It’s actually easier via the terminal, here’s the command to copy and paste in full:

sudo apt-get install compiz=1:0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1 \
compiz-core=1:0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1 \
compiz-gnome=1:0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1 \
compiz-plugins-default=1:0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1 \
libcompizconfig0=1:0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1 \
libdecoration0=1:0.9.12.2+15.10.20151015-0ubuntu1

This should work in theory (am I missing something?) - but it didn’t work in my virtual machine. :astonished:

(VirtualBox is not a good idea for testing these sort of issues, the cursor was already invisible before I started)

I’m like you folks, I don’t know the ins and outs of compiz nor do I develop it (or any MATE applications). We don’t know when this pesky update will be reverted or even better, corrected. We’ll have to wait and see.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for these instructions, I will do this to revert back to other package.

DONE. :clap:
Thanks @lah7 It’s Fixed. That god damn compiz mouse issue gone. Thank you. :innocent:

1 Like

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: Please clarify for me, was it the upgrade to MATE 1.12, or by rolling back the Compiz package?

I did upgrade to MATE 1.12 but it didn’t fixed it. I just did rollback as you posted above. It worked like charm.

1 Like

Wow, look at all of this, I got the roll-back to work ages ago

Thanks! :kissing_heart: