Mouse pointer size adjustment causes crash and lock out

I need help with how to get my desktop back into my Dell Inspiron 7995 Laptop (Nvidia GTX 960M graphics) .
Following a nuke and pave install of Ubuntu Mate 20.04, I found the mouse pointer rather small, so on the default Mate theme I went to the pointer tab. The pointer 'size slider' looked greyed out, I clicked on it and the Laptop screen instantly went black with a frozen mouse pointer. 10 seconds later the logon screen appeared. If I log back in, I get a black screen with a frozen mouse pointer and 10 seconds later the login screen reappears. This is a fixed situation and is always the same for subsequent power ups. This bug or config error is repeatable, on the first occurance I did a nuke and pave re-install. I had been coping with an occasional 'locked on left mouse button effect' with my wireless mouse and trackpad with 19.10. Any recovery guidance would be appreciated.

Hi Dave,

I don't know about pointer sizing but if you have a root and home partition setup, you can quickly re-install using the following:

A WORD OF CAUTION THOUGH!.

If you keep your home settings intact, it may well remember the pointer setting and create the same issue again!. :thinking: