Moving between windows of an application not working correctly?

There is a keyboard shortcut for moving between windows of an application with a pop up window (default ALT + ~ ),but you can only move to different windows using the arrow buttons. Pressing the ~ button only shows the pop up with the cursor on the second window making a loop with the 1st and 2nd window if you don't use the arrows. Shouldn't it work like the ALT + Tab combo, which you move between applications with both the Tab and arrow buttons?

With Caja it shows the desktop as an option, but doesn't do anything if you choose it.

Also noticed it doesn't work with certain programs like chromium. Only shows one window instead of all of them.

Hi @Cold, I think I fully understand what you're saying but I cannot reproduce in either 18.04 or 18.10 VMs. The ~ key switches among all windows as expected (Alt still held of course). I tested with multiple Caja file manager windows. It could be theme or window manager related. Care to elaborate the setup?

In the case of selecting the desktop, I verify focus does switch to the desktop. I verify this, after switching to it, by using arrow keys to select desktop icons for files and launchers. Switching focus to desktop doesn't look like much - were you expecting more?

Hello @Bill_MI, I'm using Arc-Dark theme with Papirus icons. For window manager I have Marco(adaptive compositor). Made a video of it to show how it only moves when using the arrows, otherwise it just opens/closes the pop up.

For me it doesn't focus on the desktop. It just closes the pop up.

Anyway, I think I may have figured out what's wrong with it. My default keyboard layout is English US Int with dead keys. If I change it to English US I can move between windows by pressing the `/~ button. What layout are you using?

Seems similar to the clock applet only showing the 12 hour option to English region bug.

I'm using a Virtual Machine which adds some layers but English (US) is on both guest and host (16.04). Sounds like you're on top of the issue.

Hope they fix those two bugs then. Kind of a shame some things dont work correctly if you have a non english keyboard layout/region.

nothing changed. I see the same problem. ubuntu mate 22.04