MP3 files in RhythmBox?

Hi all,

I’ve just inherited an old laptop and installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I’m so pleased and grateful for this lightweight, slick distro. Apologies if this has been asked and answered (it must have), but I’ve searched without luck.

I’ve placed sub-folders of music files under ~/Music (mostly .mp3 files) and thus far have failed to find the trick to let Rhythmbox import them. It DOES find and import the few .wav files I have, but doesn’t seem to “see” .mp3 files. I CAN play .mp3 files in VLC, and also by hovering the cursor over .mp3’s in Caja.

My attempted resolutions from googling around include:

1. Installed the Codecs Pack from the Software Boutique

2. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

3. Tried apt-get install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 (failed with “Unable to locate package”)

4. sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3

5. Poked around under Rhythmbox -> Tools -> Plugins but if it’s in there I missed it.

6. Tried right clicking an .mp3 in Caja and selecting Open with Rhythmbox (hoping to be prompted install something).

7. sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly (was already installed)

8. sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad (was already installed)

9. Tried different preferred format options under Rhythmbox -> Edit -> Preferences

10. Rebooted (shrug).

Next up I guess is installing a different app, but I’d prefer the UM way if possible. Any kick in the right direction is much appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried installing the package ubuntu-restricted-addons (rather than ubuntu-restricted-extras)?

Thanks for the reply terzag,

I had not tried that but just gave it a go and it is already the newest version.

I have also tried System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Preferred Applications and on the Media tab set the Preferred Multimedia player to Rhythmbox, restarted the app, logged out and in - no change. I’m missing something obvious, I feel it.

Right click any .mp3 file (in Caja) to open Properties. Tab to Open With. Click on the plus Add button. Add your favorite Audio player (Rhythmbox). Make it the default by having the dot next to Rythmbox solid black. Done.

Thanks for the reply mdooley,

Hadn’t tried that, but Rhythmbox was already selected in there. I tried removing it and adding it again. No change.

Don’t know what to tell you. It works here but I personally dislike Rbox as needlessly complicated. I had to click on the green arrow thing before my file would play after opening it with Rythmbox. I prefer and use Audacious which opens and plays any .mp3 file containing sound or music. Really simple.

Good luck Sleepy.

Thanks for your help and recommendation. I just installed Audacious and set it as the preferred app for .mp3 files. Easy install and it works.

For the future uninitiated like me, I used the Software Boutique to install the Ubuntu Software Center, then used that to install Audacious.

Just to be sure: do the MP3 files play in Totem (or other player that uses GStreamer)? If so, the codecs are installed properly.

Have you tried deleting the rhythmbox directory in ~/.local/share to delete its database and try to build it again now that the codecs are installed?

1 Like

Bingo.

Removing ~/.local/share/rhythmbox and re-launching Rhythmbox did the trick.

Thanks terzag!